visibility of barring on lavender

NicoleRM

Songster
13 Years
Dec 2, 2007
Williston, FL
I'm working through a plan for a project to attempt to create lavender sex links. Can anyone tell me if barring on lavender is visible enough to differentiate solid chicks from barred chicks at a reasonably young age? I'm concerned that the dilution via lavender will make the barring difficult to discern. If I can't tell who is barred and who is solid the whole plan becomes kind of useless!

Seems pointless to me Because I don't think your offspring will be Lav at all. :confused:

I'm under the impression that Lav bred to anything other than Lav will breed as black. If that's true than in theory they would be sex linked by a large white spot on the head... but not Lav. Hence my statement, but I'm here to learn and that is my current understanding.

That being said... experimenting is part of the fun! :pop

:jumpy:jumpy:fl

What breeds will you be using? Will the female be lavender barred/cuckoo? Will you use a solid lavender male? That is the only way that would work. Males would be single factor barred with a headspot as day olds, and females would be solid lavender. Google lavender Orpingtons, and maybe you will find if their head spot is noticeable.

What breeds will you be using? Will the female be lavender barred/cuckoo? Will you use a solid lavender male? That is the only way that would work. Males would be single factor barred with a headspot as day olds, and females would be solid lavender. Google lavender Orpingtons, and maybe you will find if their head spot is noticeable.
I didn't know there was Cuckoo pattern in Lav... That's awesome! :thumbsup

You have to breed a hen carrying lavender to a cuckoo rooster carrying it to get some lab, because it is recessive. The others will be black. However with a completely lavender rooster and a lavender carrying barred hen, you get lav sexlinks. Or the other way. The hen still needs to be barred. Or they can both be lavender, but the hen still has to be barred. If that makes sense. I tried to make sense.

I'm fully aware of how lavender, the barring gene, and sex linking works. I just need to know if lavender barred chicks are distinguishable from solid lavender chicks.

Yes it will show but I'll let an expert help you out.
@ChicKat
Show her some chick pics.

I did some snooping and found her project thread. Looks promising, thank you!

We're all working on auto sexing barred lavender browns over there. Bit different then straight lavender sex links but I know she has tons of great pics of lavender browns with single barring and chicks with head spots.
I'm also working on solid lavender with and without barring but I'm still on splits no lavender yet.
Your project won't be as visible as on black barred but will definitely show up.

Back
Top Bottom