visible weight loss in 8 mo old pullet

tommysgirl

Crowing
10 Years
Mar 18, 2012
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)

She is an OE. Penedesenca/Creme Legbar, she is 8 mos old. She looks smaller than she was a month ago and I can feel her keep bone

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

No real behavior change other than she had stopped laying in early January. So had 5 other pullets she is housed with. She is eating is still active. Her comb is paler than normal and she is thin looking

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

I noticed it 3 days ago so she has probably been loosing weight for a while. She has not laid an egg since early Jan but neither had most of my girls in the same pen

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

No

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

No idea

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

Multi Purpose Poultry Pellet I just finished worming them (second go round) and am still in the withdrawl period

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

Normal

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

Nothing I just observed her behavior

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

I won't take her to the vet but I would like to know what you suggest I do at home

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

I will post a pic of her tonight. They are hard to get she is flighty

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

She shares about 105 sq feet run/coop with a NH rooster and 6 other pullets. I use a variety of things on the floor of the run...pine needles pine shavings and grass hay mostly

Basically she appears healthy but her comb is paler than normal and her production is off. There is some feather loss too but nothing you can tell by looking at her. I just see them in the coop. Could it be just a light molt?

Every other bird is fine and dandy and all but one has started laying again.

I may be making a mountain out of a mole hill but I felt her keel bone this morning and it felt to obvious.

What did you worm her with? I think she is probably *very* sick and she should be brought inside or there is a good chance she will die.

-Kathy

I wormed the whole pen with Wazine then 2 weeks later I used Safeguard and just finished that up last night.

What do you think might be causing it?

I was thinking of having her in during the day and putting her in the coop at night. What should I be feeding her in the house?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom