Visited Brad Legg's today

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by bandbaustin, Aug 15, 2010.

1. bandbaustin

bandbaustin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Valparaiso, IN
    Visited the Legg farm today and I was blown away!! What a great guy and so knowledgable. I have finally got to see all the colors and most of the patterns. So many and now I am sure of my next purchases. Unfortunately he did not have any of the ones I
    was interested. Much to my wifes enjoyment as to the eight hundred dollars she saved. But I would recommend it if anyone down in the Kansas City area. I could have spent all day there.

2. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Very cool. What colors have you decided on going for? Show pics if you brought camera along! [​IMG]

Did you get to see the new colors- Taupe and Sonja's Violeta?

3. bandbaustin

May 21, 2009
    Valparaiso, IN
    I wish I would have got more pics but I was just in awe. I saw the taupes and the hen violetas but the male violeta is at George conners farm now. I am definately in love with bronzes and charcoals in black shoulder and purple black shoulder. He has some incredible combinations. What a great place, I am so jealous. He told me he had a charcoal white eye hen lay this year after not laying for so many years.

4. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Love the bronzes too. They look so much better in person than pictures. What color did Taupe look to you? (yes asking because pic not always represent reality accurately.. just like bronzes)

Did you get to see opals? did they look similar or way different from charcoals? Have opal, love them, never saw charcoals.. sometimes they look awful similar in pictures.. Was the charcoal's egg fertile?

Did the violeta hens look similar to the hen that showed up at peachick's place? Just wondering if that one could be violeta too.

You're so lucky to have visited someone with all the colors.. absolutely nobody like that out here.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  5. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Why didn't you take me??????????? We have bought birds from him twice now and got to talk with him at length on the phone. I would love to visit him.

Steve

6. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Yes great guy, has more colors and patterns than anyone. What colors did you want he didn't have?

Kev the opal as chicks more silver looking. charcoal flight feather are different on the chicks also.
    adults males don't look anything alike.....charcoal grey color,and opal color.

I will post pics of both later........

7. Choctaw Valley Farm

Choctaw Valley Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I seen the Taupe's last year at the convention I thought they looked a lot like the Cameo but with a little more shine to there tail (hard to tell apart without them standing side by side) that's just me. I would have a hard time paying $2000.00 a pair for a Cameo looking bird.

The Violeta's were young and hard to tell what they would look like when grown so I will not comment on them ( would like to see what the male looks like with a long tail)

Steve

8. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Quote:me too

and yep, I though an off looking cameo when I saw his taupes on the website too, cool bird, but for sure, I'll wait about 10 years before jumping on those

9. bandbaustin

May 21, 2009
    Valparaiso, IN
    I did see a bunch of the violeta hens, they did look similiar to peachicks hen but a lot more purple and darker. They were gorgeous. He did not have the male there but we did get to see his train. (Leggs pull their trains) It was small as he is a two year old but stunning. DArker purple with browns mixed in it. It was getting darker so harder to see but I was definately impressed. He does a lot of work spaldings and pieds it seems. The charcoal hen that laid did have fertile egg (he also has a spalding charcoal that lays also) His vulturine guineas were cool too. He showed me the original midnight male and we talked about the peaches. He said that most of what he had available now were in blues and pieds. HE said he was waiting til fall when he could sex before he would make a new price list. But what an incredible farm he has.

10. coloradopeafowl

coloradopeafowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Lakewood, CO
    Hey guys the violettas aren't really that similar to peachicks hen, they are much darker and deep blue purple in the neck. I have some pics of them but they weren't taken by me so I don't want to post them without George's (the man who first found the mutation) permission, but if you go to the UPA forum you can then go to pictures and find his post on violettas and you can see the difference there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by