Visiting chicken from the neighborhood: hen or cockerel?

Ganesh-Saahd

Chirping
May 18, 2020
Hi guys

So, there's a chicken that has been visiting my flock. Probably from the far neighbor.

On afternoon, I went to check on the free ranging hens in my backyard. They were eating in their run... With a new chicken. I don't own a white hens

My bully tried to make her law, but quickly calmed down and let that new chicken feed and scratch around...

It's back this morning. Came 4 times yesterday. I'm beginning to think it may be stuck outside of its coop. They are not always here, the neighbors. They are renting the barn and living elsewhere.

Anyway. I think it could be a young rooster? I mean, he's trying its best to go in the pen, lunging himself at the wire and all. My hens are curious. One of my youngest, the skittish one, is not even afraid of that new chicken (and is still terrified of the rest of her flock).

I think it's a leghorn.
What do you think? Hen of cockerel?
Something I could do? I don't want to let the girls out with it outside. I don't want fertilized eggs. I don't have the phone number of the neighbors and they are not here as I said. I cannot catch it either.

It is the only one roaming around. Also, I find it dirty of the bottom. I don't want it to infect my flock...!

Thanks!

Attachments

• MVIMG_20200606_093241.jpg
    MVIMG_20200606_093241.jpg
    479.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20200606_093104.jpg
    IMG_20200606_093104.jpg
    528 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20200606_092713.jpg
    IMG_20200606_092713.jpg
    606.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20200603_133625.jpg
    IMG_20200603_133625.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
I see a hen there, no saddle feathers. If it's locked out then your place might be the only one where it can find food. It could be someone turned it out for some reason as well.
Do your neighbors have white chickens?

I have no idea! Their chickens are not free range (except this one hahahaha!)

I let it feed, drink and hang around. The girls are very accepting/sweet with it.

I don't see those feathers too. I was wondering if it could be a very young rooster and the feathers will come in time?

If it decide to stay, we'll see quickly of it lay white eggs or not :p

I'm trying to contact the neighbor.

I have no idea! Their chickens are not free range (except this one hahahaha!)

I let it feed, drink and hang around. The girls are very accepting/sweet with it.

I don't see those feathers too. I was wondering if it could be a very young rooster and the feathers will come in time?

If it decide to stay, we'll see quickly of it lay white eggs or not :p

I'm trying to contact the neighbor.
I think it's a girl. The comb is and wattles look about right to be full grown or nearly so and if it was a roo you'd be seeing those saddle feathers already with a comb that big. Pretty girl though!

Back
Top Bottom