1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

visiting downtown chicago...where to park or how to travel by train?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by edible_chicken, Dec 15, 2011.

1. edible_chicken

edible_chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Ohio
    we are going on a short trip to Chicago on monday, where can we park that is cheap? how do we use the metra train? i'm confused when i looked up how to use the train system. thanks!

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    No where in Chicago that is cheap to park LOLOL! If I remember right, it was $20 a day to park near the museum.

Good thing I have friends and families living in Chicago and parking is a premium and you must lock all doors, hide all valuables in trunk. Do not park in dark alleys.

As for the metra train, some are color coded and number coded. There is a website: http://metrarail.com/metra/en/home.html BEST deals are the day passes, all day unlimited rides. We have been thru the slums and fancy homes so it is best you keep your money, wallets in your pockets. Keep your purses home, or if you can, bring a back pack.

A place to stay overnight? The youth Hostel is a good place, very clean. Always check for bedbugs and lice on beds, you never know whats in there.

3. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    It has been ten years since I visited Chicago - but we stayed downtown. Loved seeing the museum and the aquarium. Great trip. Hope you have a great time.

4. edible_chicken

May 15, 2011
    Ohio
    what about parking at nearby colleges? schools are on break and some offer visiting permits, but don't say tourists cannot park. i called northwestern but the woman couldn't give me information about the chicago campus. she's filling in and said to call friday or monday.

5. edible_chicken

May 15, 2011
    Ohio
    Quote:thanks ewesheep! i might have to get more information when we arrive in chicago. i have never been on public transportation. btw, i see you are from decatur, il! we visited decatur earlier this year when we went to the chevrolet museum and covered bridges in rockville, in. it was absolutely beautiful because we went right after it snowed.

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Yeah the Chevy musuem, a real classy place! Perfect place for men to go to while the women go shopping LOL!

7. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    Bite the bullet and pay $20 to $30 a day for some place convenient. My son went to UIC and we quickly learned that you burn way too much time looking for a deal. One time we parked over by Soldier Field and spent the day at the museum and aquarium.

A good way to learn how to use the train system is to find a homeless guy and give him $5.00 to explain it to you. An acquaintance of mine did that and never had a problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by