1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Visiting family?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MamaSaylor, Dec 29, 2013.

1. MamaSaylor

MamaSaylor Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2013
    We were thinking of taking 2-3 days visiting my mother in law. How do you care for your flock while away? If you just leave them in the run and coop, do you just keep the coop door open?

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I have covered runs attached to my coops. Unless it's brutally cold outside, I just leave the pop door open all the time whether we're home or not to allow them out in the run during the day. When we're home, we let them out of the run to free range during the day, but I specifically wanted the attached runs for when we're gone. My mom usually comes over and checks on them, but they'd be fine for a couple of days if she didn't, as long as they have plenty of food and water. It all depends on how secure your run is, and how comfortable you are leaving them. If I didn't have the attached runs, I would not leave the door open over night.

3. MamaSaylor

MamaSaylor Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2013
    We have similar. Attached run with a lock (so coons can't easily open it), a door on the coop with a lock as well. We let them in the run during the day then free range if we are home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by