Visiting Mallard hen

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by rkinley, Oct 15, 2019.

1. rkinley

rkinley Songster

Mar 6, 2016
    Big Sandy, Texas
    A mallard hen just showed up here and apparently decided she's going to live with my chickens!

I have no idea what to do. Any help would be appreciated. She seems very tame.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Ephesians 6:13

She maybe a domestic Mallard that flew from home. If you don’t mind her around let her stay she may continue to stay or she may head out after a while.

3. slordaz

slordaz hatchaholic

Apr 15, 2015
    Idaho
    it's always interesting when ya get adopted by animals lol. just be careful I swear they communicate somehow inter-species when they find a home they like cause then they just keep showing up lol

4. Miss Lydia

We had a pair of Canada geese stop by one spring when it had no sign of turning spring snow stayed for ever. They stayed Outside the fence and I put food out for them. They only came 2 days but it was was awesome. Of course my birds weren't impressed if I was.

5. slordaz

slordaz hatchaholic

Apr 15, 2015
    Idaho
    My chickens weren't impressed with a pet that was dropped off in out area that decided to sleep on top of their coop, the cat was injured and we let her be as couldn't find the owners just treated her wounds and son started feeding her, she has to stay outside as I don't need more inside pets, but they all love her now, big old stray tom came around and boy did she tear into him, the rooster was sitting there looking , I think he was in shock such a little thing had it in her to go after a tom cat trying to get into their yard.

6. Miss Lydia

Watch cat that’s cool!

quackiemama and ValerieJ like this.
  7. rkinley

rkinley Songster

Mar 6, 2016
    Big Sandy, Texas
    Uh oh!! Well, her name is now Millie the Mallard. She has to be domestic, she is just too tame not to be. And rather young.

8. Jpat

Jpat Free Ranging

Apr 30, 2018
    Nova scotia
    is it true most domestic mallards have the nub on the back of their foot docked?

quackiemama and ValerieJ like this.
  9. Miss Lydia

Or Punch through their webbing. @rkinley? Back toe docked or punch in web?

quackiemama and Jpat like this.
  10. rkinley

rkinley Songster

Mar 6, 2016
    Big Sandy, Texas
    Her feet are not punched. And I can't tell about the nub

quackiemama, Jpat and Miss Lydia like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: