Visiting Roosters...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ch1ckenmama, Aug 21, 2016.

1. ch1ckenmama

ch1ckenmama Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2016
    My husband and I have 6 chickens (hens) . They are our first and we love them. All laying beautifully. 2 weeks ago, 2 roosters came to visit. We have no idea where they came from but they would not leave. They roost in the tree nearby at night. We introduced them and they all get along. Three days ago one of the rooster went missing. We looked for him but didn't see anything. We just got back today from a weekend get a way and when I was walking the property with my dog, we found a few white feathers. [​IMG] Pretty sure he is no longer with us. His buddy, Wingman (yes he has a name...lol). Is still here. Is it ok to try to get him to go in the coop with the girls to keep him safe? They all get along great. Was not sure if he would flip out if he was put up for the night. Any help would be great because we are new to this. Thank you!!!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I would try to herd him in. My guess is they were dumped, as this time of year everyone has extra roosters and many don't have the nerve to butcher.

3. ch1ckenmama

Aug 16, 2016
    Thanks for the reply! We tried to bring him in tonight with the girls but as the girls were putting themselves up for the night, he flew on top of the coop and left. He comes back everyday. We will give it a try every night. I think he will eventually go in with them.

4. ch1ckenmama

Aug 16, 2016
    Thanks for the reply! We tried tonight but as the girls were going in for the night. He flew away. We will keep trying!

5. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Maybe leave the door open and he might work up the courage to follow them. After dusk close it up. Hopefully you get him before something else does. You could also try going out after dusk with a light to see if you can find where he's roosting and snag him.

6. Naser

Naser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2014
    Ireland
    If you leave the hens to free range, most likely he will join them, the other thing to do is to feed the rooster and he will get tamed in a few days, then you can set a simple trap to get him, a net or something supported by stick, the stick attached to a string, you pull the string and the thing will fall on the rooster
    Be extra vigilant, the predator who killed that poor rooster will come after your hens, he tasted the food and won't go away.

7. Naser

Naser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2014
    Ireland
    [​IMG]

8. ch1ckenmama

Aug 16, 2016
    Thanks Naser! I'm happy to have joined this great group!! Our girls do free range when we are out with them. When we are at work, my husband has a completely cover run for them. I thought the same thing about what ever got the rooster will now know there are chickens here. We have a lot of coyotes around. My husband thinks that is what may have got him. I have been feeding the other rooster and he seems to be ok when we are around him. I got him to go in the run but he left before we could get him in the coop. We are going to keep trying. I don't want to see anything happen to this little guy. I feel terrible that something got the other before we could catch them. [​IMG] My girls seems to like him so I don't think it will be a problem. I'll keep trying!

9. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I would not bring him in....Chickens carry lots of disease that you could be introducing into your flock...Mareks, respiratory and other deadly issues.

Chase it away or cull it....I would not bring in any stray chickens here to upset my healthy birds.

My opinion..Sound advise.....

10. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    At this point I don't think it matters, they are already exposed to whatever the rooster might be carrying. Many diseases blow in on the wind or are transported by wild birds as well.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by