1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Visitors in outer run with snow prints - need help identifying

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by bobbieschicks, Jan 25, 2013.

1. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    These pics aren't very clear - but something/someone has been visiting our coop in the evening or morning hours. I noticed fresh prints after the snow but couldn't take pics until today. We lost a 12 week old Silky chick the other week and I suspect one of the visitors took her. Most of the prints were around the two flock blocks I have in the unsecured run.

Near Flock block #1

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Near Flock Block #2 on opposite side of run
    [​IMG]

Near the back side of the coop in the unsecured run
    [​IMG]

2. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    I'm not sure, but it looks a little bit like a raccoon. I'll have my husband take a look when he gets home. He'll probably know.

3. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Thank you. I have seen a raccoon walk through our yard towards the woods one early morning about a year ago. I thought it was long gone.

4. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    My husband's a hunter and is real good about identifying tracks but couldn't tell
    from your pictures what it was. Do you have a game camera? We use one all the time. It's a outside camera that
    takes a picture when it senses movement. Works great. Some can be a little pricey but you'll know what's in your backyard. Good luck.

5. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Thank you for trying. I'll look at the cost of getting a game camera. Whatever it was it didn't come back last night. We had fresh snow and the only tracks were from birds and squirrel.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by