Vista + old printer = no printing

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by FrenchHen, May 7, 2009.

1. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    We just got a new computer (Woohoo!) but Vista thinks it's talking to the brother DCP 1000. The Brother doesn't understand what vista's saying.

Anyone know how to make Vista work with a printer that vista doesn't think it needs a driver for?

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  2. Stumpy

Stumpy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Sorry I don't have an answer, but I feel your pain [​IMG].

I wish I'd never gotten Vista! Mine works with one out of four printers in the house.

3. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    You could try going to the Brother website and looking for a patch, the usually have them. I had to do that with one of mine.

I hate Vista too, we went back to XP.

4. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    mine is not a brother printer but when we got our new computer in feb. it didnt want to take the disc to my printer so all I did was just turn the printer on and it found it on new hardware it works fine

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I learn to dislike microsoft more everyday.

6. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Vista is awful. Sorry about your printer problem.

7. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Look for an update on Brother's site. If they don't have one there is a way to try and have the program run as if it's running with previous editions of Windows. I'll go try to figure it out and post it here in case. [​IMG]

Go into the programs Properties and under the "Compatability" tab look for "compatibility mode" check the box beside "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and then use the drop down menu to choose which Windows it worked with before.

Good luck!

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  8. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    Quote:looks like this is your best shot. i went in circles looking for a Vista compatable driver. :
    Brother is committed to providing support for latest version operating systems and as such Brother has been working with Microsoft[​IMG] to ensure the very latest driver support for Windows Vista[​IMG]. Driver Support for a large number of Brother machines is shipped with the Vista[​IMG] Operating System. The drivers will automatically install when the USB cable is connected to the PC and the Brother machine. These drivers known as "built-in" drivers may not include the full functionality of Brother original drivers released for previous operating systems. As an alternative and for other connections such as network and wireless, Brother will provide drivers for download. These drivers, known as "Brother original drivers" are developed by Brother and include more functionality than the operating system "built-in" drivers. Brother original drivers can also be used for USB connection. Brother recommends the download drivers provided from the links below for use with Microsoft Vista[​IMG] and Brother products.
    >> For more information on Windows Vista[​IMG], visit the Microsoft[​IMG] Windows Vista[​IMG] homepage.
    http://www.brother.com/E-ftp/windowsvista/us.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by