1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Vitamin advice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by abbiemae, Sep 5, 2016.

1. abbiemae

abbiemae New Egg

Sep 5, 2016
    Hi I'm new to the page and after some advice.

My four month old pekin bantam became ill last week. He seemed off balance and started to trip over. I brought him in the house and started to treat him with vit B. My vet put him on antibiotics as she thought it may be a ear infection.
    Mareks was also mentioned although my vet was not convinced.
    He stared to improve a lot and nearly seemed back to normal. However yesterday he went really down hill. Just sleeping all the time seems cold and not wanting to Move or even open his eyes at all.
    Please can someone give me advice on how I can help him. Very strange that he stared to improve then went down hill again.
    Thanks [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  2. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Oh, my goodness! I am sorry to hear about your duck! You have moved this to a good spot to get some answers. You might also ask around on the duck page, there are some experienced duck keepers over there. Welcome to Backyard chickens! I hope you have fun on here!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Is he still with you? Sounds like he may have some kind of toxin. Also, it could be something other than the original problem. Also, I wonder if the antibiotic itself is being too hard on his liver - I would have blood test done for liver enzymes and switch to a different antibiotic if the numbers aren't right.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

Don't think that ducks get Marek's, so you probably don't need to worry about that.

Is he still in the house? If he feels cold he should be in a room or cage that's 80-85 degrees. Might be a good idea to call your vet ASAP.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by