Vitamin B Deficiencey or Marek's disease?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sega, Mar 5, 2013.

1. sega

sega Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2010
    Ludowici, GA.
    Had three of my hens that got to where they could not walk, their legs would stick out in from of them. Separated them from the rest of the flock and started treatment with Tylan and Vitamin B in their water. Two of them recovered but the one in the vid died soon after this vid was taken.

I am wondering what they had?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

so sorry to hear you lost your chicken.
    wasn't able to watch your video--

The only way that you can be certain about Marek's is to have a necropsy on the dead chicken. Usually one-leg forward and one-leg back is a classic symptom of Marek's. There generally isn't anything an owner can do to save the chicken.

Here is a page with information about Marek's -- and toward the bottom there are some posts from people who tell how to get a necropsy
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mareks-disease-fact-site

Seems like although Marek's can hit any chicken of any age, it most often will strike pullets between 10 and 16 weeks old.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  3. sega

sega Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2010
    Ludowici, GA.
    The legs are exactly as you say. One forward and one backwards.

4. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mareks is a heart breaker -- some chicken diseases can be cured. On the other hand, there may be hope to breed chickens that have resistance. Glad that you have some that you didn't loose from what ever it was that killed one of your pullets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by