Vitamin B deficiency/Curled toe paralyasis...any hope for recovery? Help please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cluckey, Dec 22, 2014.

1. cluckey

cluckey Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2014
    [​IMG]

I found my chicken hobbling around on her knuckle on Saturday. I called the vet and she gave me Vitamin B complex injections to give her for three days. I dont see much improvement at all. Does anyone know if this damage will be permanent? Would a Boot or brace help her out? I hate to put her down but I'm worried she wont be able to get around to the food and water with all the other chickens in the coop. I have her isolated in the garage now and am feeding her scrambled eggs and yogurt hoping she will improve. Also any suggestions on Riboflavin supplement to add to the feed I have? I'm worried if one is deficient, that the others may be as well. Everything I read online is pretty vague about recovery for this. Thank you!

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If your vitamin supplement was B Complex, that should contain riboflavin. Riboflavin-rich foods are egg, salmon, liver, beef, pork, spinach, nuts, and sesame seeds. Nutritional yeast is also a good source. You might try making her a shoe to stretch out the toes. Curled toe paralysis can be permanent if not treated early, but also can be a sign of Mareks disease. I hope she starts to improve soon.

4. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas
    I would try some trimmed popsicle sticks under each toe, then wrap with athletic tape part way up the shank. It's possible that just wrapping each toe with enough vet wrap may also help stop the toes from curling. I'd start at the shank then cross the pad and work my way around each toe. You could use the vet wrap instead of athletic tape as it's much easier to work with.

5. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Good idea there, should also remain flexible enough for the chook to rest without having it taken off overnight, unlike the harder/solid booties I was thinking of.

6. cluckey

Sep 17, 2014
    Wow thanks for all the information! I've had a boot on her that I made out of with some left over hardware cloth and vet wrap. I can't tell if it helps or gets in the way. She's not making much effort to move around and struggles when she does . We got another 3 days worth of injections from the vet for her. I hope this works! She is a miserable chicken right now!

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  8. cluckey

Sep 17, 2014
    The vitamins are vitamin b complex/thiamine. I've Taped Her Toes But Her Hock Goes All The Way To The Ground When She walks. It's like her whole leg isn't able to support her any more..she's standing better on it but still isn't very mobile. She falls over when she takes a step. I really really hope she gets better soon!

9. Jack Frost

Jack Frost New Egg

May 30, 2014
    Hello Cluckey,

How did this end up? My rooster has started to hobble around on his knuckles like this.

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by