Vitamin B helped hen's legs....now what?

chickfan

Songster
10 Years
Oct 12, 2009
Leander, TX
I know some were not as lucky as I have been, and I almost hate to post that my chicken responded well to the Vitamin B therapy. Fingers Crossed, of course. She is almost 100% back, and is now out with the others, defending herself when the attempt to rearrange the pecking order comes up.
I am wondering if I need to continue giving her the Vitamin B? If so, I will have to separate her from the others for awhile every day, and I hate to do that unless it is necessary.
Thanks for any advice, and special thanks to Lobzi, who came on to tell those of us whose chickens were not walking, how to handle it. I wonder how many of us went flying to the store to get the Vitamin after we found out it might help! I have passed along the info to my local chicken friends, just in case this situation comes up with their chickens. Of course I refer all of them to BYC also!

Good to hear. Make sure that you continue to give everybody some B vits. for the next few weeks because if one is low on vitamins the others are likely to be also,

Sandie

I'm not really sure how to give them all the vitamin...we have 23 hens, and 3 ducks and 4 guineas, who all share the same food and water. I guess when I give them treats of oatmeal or boiled egg or whatever, I could make sure there was a lot of Vit. B in with it. I had wondered, though, why one would have the problem when the others didn't.
Thanks for the replies! I know good news is nice to hear, but I hate it for the ones who lost their chickies. :0(

No. I dont recommend giving them vitamin B at all. If they are all acting normal....eating ,drinking,scratching, pecking around...nothing else is needed.

Quote:
I'm so happy to hear the Vit. B worked for you. I was a part of that loooong thread, too!
So happy.

Thank you! I'm happy too. This problem was so traumatic, and it is nothing short of a miracle that a vitamin would work such wonders, at least on some of our chickens.
And Dawg....I was thinking just this morning, that all the chickens get top grade feed and have the same area to find bugs and stuff. I have to wonder why one chicken would have this problem, and not the others. I guess I won't stress about giving the vitamin to all 27, unless a problem presents itself.
This chicken had found a home in one of the coops, along with 5 peeps, who started life together. I have started putting her back in with them at night, but haven't seen her trying to jump up on a roost with the others yet. I really hope she doesn't, because I'm wondering about her jumping off in the morning and landing on a sand floor....Maybe I better go out and fashion a short roost for her to use for now.
I talked to a lady at the local feed store...she has chickens, and will take our overflow of roosters and sell them for pets...then give the $$ to the FFA. She has chickens herself. Said she had never had this leg problem with chickens, but had it show up in a duck. I think she said she used Vit. C. I need to ask her again, because this is interesting. I'll ask my vet too, the next time I see him. He told me that he had one lady that brought her chickens to him all the time...spent a fortune, he said. But he seldom sees a chicken otherwise.
Now I'm gonna start another thread about diarrhea in chickens! I guess it never ends, does it?

I. too, was part of that long thread. Our Rhode Island Red hen has been getting vitamin B also. She seems to be making some improvements but now has diarrhea. It seems like everything she eats goes right through her. I feel like if we could stop the diarrhea she will start to get her health back. Does anyone know of a cure for diarrhea? Chickfan, so happy that your chicken has recovered! Gives me hope for our hen!

Back
Top Bottom