Vitamin drops....are they needed?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LittleHouseDreams, Aug 25, 2008.

1. LittleHouseDreams

LittleHouseDreams Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2008
    Ohio
    Hello,

I'm new to ALL of this and someone at my church told me that I should be giving my 1 week old chicks ( I have 4 of them) vitamin drops. Is this true? I know people do sometimes but the books I've read never really stressed the need for vitamin drops. What is your take on this subject?

Thank you

Noelle

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I kept some on hand in case of a weak or sick chick. Thankfully that didn't happen. IMO, healthy chicks that are eating their good quality starter well don't need anything else, except fresh clean water.

3. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

I've never used them...I do use a good quality chick starter, though....

I may start to use vitamins when it gets closer to fair time...to help boost my birds for anything they might be exposed to and to help with stress....

4. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    We gave our hatchery purchased chicks vitamins & electrolytes in their water for a week after they arrived to help with shipping stress.

We give vitamins & electrolytes to our flock when the temps get in mid 80°s or higher because they don't seem to eat as much when it is hot.

We give vitamins & electrolytes to any bird that seems to be acting punk.

5. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

I premix gallons of ChiX Water that has vitamins. The pack is powdered and I purchased at the feed store it's for poultry. I use just less than 1/4 tsp in a gallon of water. This 2 or 3 dollar bag will last me FOREVER. I use it on the chicks as long as they are in the brooder, and my turkeys full time their whole life.

Its just vitamins, not sure it's a bad thing to give all the time... after all if OUR food supply is lacking vitamins, isn't THEIRS? So I am considering making it full time for all birds, but I'll have to do more research first.

6. LittleHouseDreams

LittleHouseDreams Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2008
    Ohio
    Thank you for your replies. They did help. I think I'll go with the status quo for now but I'll certainly keep in mind the times you all do give vitamins to your flock.

Do you think that moving them to the coop when they are old enough is a time they should be given vitamins?

Just wondering,

Noelle

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    If they all appear well and are eating good, I really don't see the need. If it'll make you feel better you can add them when you move them to their coop. The only time I supplemented at all was when we had a long stretch of 100 degree days. Then I added some poultry electrolytes to their water until the heat wave broke.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by