Vitamin E questions - please advise

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sjisty, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I have a young light brahma cockerel who yesterday started being a bit "wobbly" on his legs. I'm hoping this isn't Marek's. He is the only one out of 16 youngsters affected. He is eating very well and poop looks normal. It's just as if his legs aren't working properly. When he turns he loses his balance. He is using both legs but very unsteady and when he walks it looks like his legs are turned in at the knees and he seems to move them in a very exaggerated way. It's hard to describe, but it looks like someone walking on stilts. He is about 6 weeks old and this has just started.

I'm grasping at straws. I thought maybe vitamin E would help but don't know how to administer it or even how much to give. Please help!

2. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    look up Merek's disease also, at his young age I have read here that those symptoms may be Merke's. Isolate him from the rest of the flock until he gets better. Also, hopefully may be that he needs those extra vitamins, had this happen to one of mine, but she is older, anyway, I gave her vitamin B12 and vit. E in her food for two weeks. I got the gel caps of vit E , cut open the tip and squeezed the liquid onto a treat food, like corn. I got vit. b12 caps in a powder form and opened up the caps and sprinkled some onto her food too. . Vit. E is fat soluable, so don't give to much, I gave her some , 1/2 capsule every other day and Vit. B12 every day for a week, then every other day for another week. Also, some electrolyte solution, it made her better, hope your little guy gets better.

3. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Thanks for your help.

It really doesn't look like Marek's symptoms. His toes are not curled. He is able to stand but is just a little "wobbly." Both legs work, sort of. When I noticed him yesterday, his crop was totally empty, not even the hint of a bulge. He has been eating like a little pig since. He ate an entire scrambled egg mixed with starter crumbles and Rooster Booster last night and another one this morning.

I've got my fingers crossed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by