vitamin/electrolyte powder and ACV

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mika4me, Nov 3, 2010.

1. mika4me

mika4me Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2010
    Sacramento
    Can you put ACV and vitamin plus electrolyte powder in the birds' water at the same time or do they mess each other up? Should I alternate days with them?

2. kbu

kbu Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2010
    this is a very good question, i would like to know this also. as well as if it is ok to put acv in a metal double walled waterer?[​IMG]

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I haven't had to do it, but it is usually recommended that you do not mix different stuff in the water.

&

Also it is usually recommended to not use ACV in metal waterers.

Imp

4. Loghousemom

Loghousemom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2012
    Up North
    I have been wondering the me thing and so wanted to revive this thread.

Am I understanding this correctly that if you use the electrolytes not to mix the ACV in? And vice versa? Maybe use them In altering weeks would be best?

5. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I question why you'd need to use the vitamin powder that often. Usually it's just a temporary thing to give them a boost, never used more than a week.

But if for some reason you do, I'd not mix the two either. I'm sure the ACV would throw off the electrolytes. Week on/week off sounds fine.

6. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    The answer to your question depends on what is in the vitamin powder. Which powder do you use and what is in it? Some vitamins are indeed acid-sensitive while others are unaffected. Some vitamins are also susceptible to sunlight. The reaction isn't instantaneous in either case, usually less than a day but more than a few hours. I usually put ACV in the water (NOT metal waterer) 2-3 days a week and a low dose of vitamins, without ACV, once per week.

7. Loghousemom

Mar 17, 2012
    Up North
    I bought the vitamins at runnings with the chickens. It is RXV products poultry vitamins & elecrolytes.

I apologize if this is a common knowledge thing, I just want to make sure the birds stay as healthy as possible, I am not mixing the two together, but if I shouldn't be feeding the vitamins any longer I don't wont. I did the vitamins all week, (I have only had the chicks for a week) I stopped yesterday and was thinking I would switch to the ACV if that is more appropriate for their age. I believe they are about 3 weeks old now.

8. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    In that case, welcome to BYC and welcome to the world of chickens! Yes, a but of vitamins and electrolytes is good for them when stressed, like a new home, and for new chicks. But it doesn't need to be a regular thing. The ACV is good for them but not a requirement.

You'll love them! Any more questions, post a new thread and ask. This board has the friendliest bunch I've ever seen on internet boards. Great Admins. You'll get the occasional wag and sometimes no answer, but be persistent. And again, Welcome.

9. Loghousemom

Mar 17, 2012
    Up North
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by