Vitamin injection for wry neck?

K-Finn

Chirping
Aug 8, 2017
North Hartland, Vermont
I have a chicken who is showing symptoms of wry neck - difficulty keeping head raised, neck often assuming a twisted appearing posture or tucked downward, but she can move a bit and occasional has brief periods of greater neck mobility and stability. From what I've read, wry neck is a symptom that could be caused by a number of different things, but one of the most common is a vitamin deficiency. So, everything I've read says to give her vitamin supplements by mouth.

Has anyone every tried administering vitamins (e.g. something like Vitamin E-selenium) either subcutaneously or intra-muscularly in or near the affected area (neck)? It seems like that would be a faster route if it is indeed a vitamin deficiency affecting the muscle. And, it seems like a much easier method of administration for a bird that is having a difficult time holding it's neck up. Intramuscular injections of vitamin E-selenium have been used for other purposes in chickens (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2305050016000221), and I also see resources about other vitamin injections (such as vitamin B) for various other ailments.

Anyone have thoughts or advice on a vitamin cocktail injection for wry neck?

It's been years but it seems like wry neck can sometimes be caused by botulism.. I would mix epsom salts and water and put down their throat. Just a thought and I don't remember how much epsom salts.

Back
Top Bottom