Vitamins and Electrolytes

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NJbirdlover, Apr 28, 2009.

1. NJbirdlover

NJbirdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    Sorry if this question was asked already, I tried to find some info on it...

anyways,

My 12 chicks are due to arrive at the P.O. Thursday or Friday. Is it a good idea to add vitamins and electrolytes to their water from the very beginning? I want to give them best start possible.

Also,

They are coming vaccinated for Mareks, should I stay away from the medicated food or will that be ok?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I have never needed to add anything to their food or water. However, if any other them appear weak, the electrolytes are a good idea! You can feed medicated starter if you want. I never have.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:The medicated feed will in no way affect the Mareks vaccination. The medicated feed is for coccidiosis and has nothing to do with Mareks. You wouldn't want to feed medicated if you also had them vaccinated for coccidia.
    I added nothing to their water. Having the vitamins and electrolytes on hand in case of a weak chick is a good idea though.

4. eastvanchicken

eastvanchicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2009
    Vancouver
    We have the same (or similar) question. The helpful folks at the feed store suggested electrolytes in the water initially. Ok, how long is initially? Is there a problem with adding these for too long?

5. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    I have been putting 4 drops of baby vitamin (forget the name of it but everyone here uses it and it's stinky) in my chick's water at every water change since day one. I haven't used any electrolytes, but my chicks are healthy and feathering out nicely on day 10.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by