1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

vitamins and supplements

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by showjumper_girl2002, Jun 23, 2011.

1. showjumper_girl2002

showjumper_girl2002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    do i need to be giving my week old muscovy ducklings any vitamins or supplements or is it ok to just give them unmedicated chick starter?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I did not give my runner babies vitamins every day, but if someone was looking puny (southern term for not quite healthy), I'd make sure to give them some, and every week or two I'd give them vitamins just as health insurance.

These days I do something similar - more vitamins in winter when there's less good forage outside and when cold stress is more likely.

If they're getting what they need from their diet, theoretically they don't need added vitamins. But I have seen a bit of variety in how well different individual ducks process nutrients, so I like having a little boost from time to time.

3. showjumper_girl2002

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    what kind of vitamins should i use?

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    There are poultry vitamins available at feed stores and online. I bought mine from Meyer Hatchery when I ordered the ducklings. It's got vitamins, eletrolytes, and probiotics.

5. showjumper_girl2002

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    Thanks everyone [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by