1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Vitamins for chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Daniel1974, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Daniel1974

Daniel1974 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2012
    Summerville SC
    Im wondering if anyone can give me any info on vitamins for my BYC? Im gonna run to TSC tomorrow and need the best vitamins for my Baby's. And i know you all know whats best for my birds so please help me out :)

2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    For my chicks I give them Poly-vi-Sol with no iron. You can get it at Safeway, and other drugstores.

3. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    I do this, too. The vitamins mentioned are in the pediatric vitamin section in the supermarket or drugstore. Some folk put up to 1 tsp (5 mL) per quart, but I supplement my flock's feed with plenty of greens and table scraps, so I only put in 1 tsp per gallon, every other time I fill up the 1 gallon waterer. My flock is fully grown.

4. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    (Listen to the chemist up there) I do that also, my waterer is 3 gallons, so I just suck up the supplement to the *1* line, and squirt it in. It works well, I actually think it saved my JG from Marek's,(he couldn't stand up) I fed him his baby food and used a dropper with the Poly-vi-sol in it, and one miracle day he started walking.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  5. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    If you're feeding a good brand of chick starter you don't need any vitamins fed through their water. If you're really concerned then a little finely chopped fresh green feed once a day that they can clean up in ten minutes or so will suffice. But water soluble vitamins are not necessary if your chick starter is fresh.

6. Lisa Harmon

Lisa Harmon Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2013
    Ozark, MO
  7. horsefeathers09

horsefeathers09 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2009
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I'm hearing that Silkies need vitamin supplements, if so, is ploy- vi- sol a good choice for them too?

8. jmbwholesale

jmbwholesale Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2014
    I've used polyvisol for my silkies. No problems.

9. KathieL

KathieL Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2015
    I put ACV in my hens' water. Can I add the Poly-vi-sol into that same water or should I leave out the ACV when I use the vitamins?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by