Vitamins for chicks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bloomnbeauty, Oct 10, 2009.

1. bloomnbeauty

bloomnbeauty Delux Cluxs

Sep 16, 2008
    N Florida
    I would like to know if giving the poly-vi-sol w/o iron on a daily basis will be beneficial or detrimental to my new chicks? And how much should I put in a 1 quart waterer?

2. CTChick

CTChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Shelton
    I have been adding (for the past 3 days) one teaspoon of GQF Vitamins Plus to a gallon of drinking water. Maybe I'm crazy but I swear my chickens (already healthy) look even livelier than before. I just bought a plastic waterer so I can add organic apple cider vinegar (I understand you can't use a metal waterer) one or two teaspoons to a gallon. Also fresh dandelion greens - they're free and the chickens love them! I'm very new, so if any of this is wrong or anyone has something to add -- please do! I have many books but have learned a LOT more on this site, so thank you all very much. My husband and young son were collecting earthworms and tossing them into the coop - I stopped that quick.

PS I find myself daydreaming about adding new chickens. This is a sickness, right? "Chicken Fever?" Oh yeah, and a second coop for the silkies and bantams I want to breed ... sure thing!

Sick, sick, sick (love it).

3. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Nope, you can never go wrong with viatamin/minerla supplements, just a sign of a caring owner, wish more did it, then the sick page may be a little smaller!

4. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    It should be given only once a week tho..am I right?

5. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    yes, dont go overboard with it or it does no good. I do it on Wed and Saturdays in my routine and at only about 1/2 dose. If anything out of the normal pops up, then go to a full dose and do daily but for no more than the recommended label period, usually 3-7 days

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by