vitamins for chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by klf73, Aug 12, 2008.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Ok, if my chick has a vitamin deficiency, what kind of vitamins do you give. I know there is one I was told was at the feed store, but just in case they don't have it I dont' want to drive all over to get it somewhere else. I know I read about poly-vi-sol. How long can this be used and which kind. I am assuming you don't want the one with the extra iron? Any info appreciated [​IMG]
    Krista

2. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

What makes you think the chick has a deficiency, Krista?

Yes, polyvisol without iron is correct.

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
  4. LauraSBale

LauraSBale Chillin' With My Peeps

Krista

are you talking about day old chicks or hens?

if they are baby's they need the electrolyte mix, I use it for the first 3 weeks.
    if they are hens, and you notice a deficiency, in their combs, feathers, not laying well, or other issue's,, you need to find what they are deficient in,. wither there not getting enough from the feed they are on, or supplement feeds like scratch mix grains, fruit or vegs.

In the Winter, when mine are not able to get out and a range feed, and fresh fruit and vegs are not on hand. I will put about 1/4 teasp in a 3 gallon water.
    I use one that is a electrolyte , vit and probotics in it

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    3 week old, being fed blue seal medicated starter

Krista

6. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Awww, poor lil thing. Off topic, but did you make the shoe for it? That would get the foot/feet straightened.

I used polyvisol for my little chick born that way for the first week. I tried giving it to him orally the first day or two, but didn't get alot in, so I ended up putting it is his water. I also put on the little "shoes" that first night and bless him, I woke up the next morning, took the shoes off, and his toes were perfect. I was amazed. I think my little guys issues stemmed from a prolonged hatching. Pip to hatch was more than 30 hours......

Good luck!

7. LauraSBale

LauraSBale Chillin' With My Peeps

Kirsta

you were posting when i was posting,

i read your other post,
    I have never seen that

I know there is supplements and herbs, that help with bone, and cartilage.

I have a Chinchilla that was born with his back foot turned in, it almost like he rest on the bottom of his ankle.

i give him

Oat Straw the herbs, Supportive to the nervous systems. Builds healthily bones, skin, nails, helps with stress. Chemical constituents of Saponins, Flavonoids, Alkaloids, Calcium, Steroids, Iron, Vitamin B, Lysine, Methionins.

Horsetail-

Contains Potassium, ,, and Manganese. Promotes bone and cartilage formation, silica and calcium, used to strengthen hair, skin and nails.

8. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    This is the same chick we thought had wry tail. S/he held it to the side. Then 2 days later it was fine [​IMG] . Something is up with this chick, not sure exactly what. Only time will tell.
    Thanks
    Krista

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by