Vitamins for new chicks

Bobbi Jack

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 9, 2009
I just got new chicks and ducklings today (I wasn't prepared beforehand; they were a surprise from a friend) and the intructions that came with them said to put Duramycin in their water for the first two days.
Here are my questions;
(a) Is it really necessary? I've raised chicks before and have never heard of it.
And (b) If so, what is the purpose of it?
Thanks,
Bobbi

I think that Duramyacin is an antibiotic isn't it?
idunno.gif
If it is I wouldn't use it, I think most things ending in "myacin" are scary. I started my baby chicks out from the beginning with powdered chick electrolye in their water. Although, this is my first experience with raising chicks, my friends who have raised chickens for years comment on how lively, curious, and healthy my 7 week old girls are compared to most they have seen. They are large fully feathered and beautiful heavy breeds. On the other hand, lots of experienced posters here say chicks don't need anything but warmth, shelter, food and clean water. Good luck

Yep, duramycin is an antibiotic and IMO, totally unnecessary. Antibiotics should never be used except in the case of a true illness. Using antibiotics when unnecessary is how superbugs that are antibiotic resistant are created.

Wonderful! I wasn't too wild about the idea of making a specail trip to town for it anyway.

Back
Top Bottom