Vitamins

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wilhiteranch, Jun 27, 2011.

1. wilhiteranch

wilhiteranch In the Brooder

May 22, 2011
    Rocklin
    How do you give chickens vitamins?

2. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Songster

Feb 5, 2009
    Many BYC members use the supplement Poly Vi Sol (without iron), though I'm sure there are other substitutes. I believe you can put them in the water, or you can put it in a dropper and dribble a bit down the side of your chicken's beak, and the chicken will be forced to swallow it.

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Crowing

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I use polyvisol in their water. I use 1ml per quart of water. I only put down the beak if they are sick. The vitamins saved my chick from dying with pnemounia.

4. speckledegg

speckledegg In the Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    W. WA
    You can also get vitamins at the feed store specifically for chicks. We used Save a Chick vitamins and just mixed it in with their water. If I hadn't had found those, I would have just gotten the Poly Vi Sol from the pharmacy.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    This is what I use. I mix it with water and give it to my chicks for the first couple of weeks. I also give it to my older birds during extremely hot or cold weather.
    A water soluble premix of vitamins and electrolytes specifically formulated as a water or feed additive; for use when animals are subject to conditions of stress. For use in cattle, horses, goats, sheep, swine, poultry. One package will make 128 gallons.
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/multi-...-electrolytes-8-oz-durvet-cattle-feed-2209105

I agree...
    Quote:If you use Poly-Vi-Sol get it without iron...
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/livest...ctrolyte-vitamin-supplement-pack-of-3-1000724

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  6. wilhiteranch

wilhiteranch In the Brooder

May 22, 2011
    Rocklin
    Thank you ! I'll go to the feed store and see what i can find. Also how often do you give the vitamins?

7. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Songster

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    If fed a good diet chicks (or humans for that matter) to not require vitamin supplementation.

8. Nicole01

Nicole01 Crowing

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    My oldest chicks are over 3 months and I still give them vitamins. I'm going to finish this bottle and save the unopened bottle for when they are sick.

I know it's not necessary, but my chicks look really good! The vitamins has made a difference.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by