Vitamins

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kat450, Oct 28, 2014.

1. kat450

kat450 New Egg

Oct 28, 2014
    Hello, I have a 5 month old mallard duck that was rescued as a baby. It has always been a struggle to get him to eat veggies. I have tried a number of kinds without too much success. I ask you if there is a type or brand of vitamin but I can be adding to his water for general health as well as recently I noticed when he sleeps on one leg when he starts to walk again he begins to limp. it typically goes away however I am unsure if he is lacking some vitamins that is causing this limp

2. smonkeySK

smonkeySK Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2013
    wigan uk
    There are vitamin powders and liquids available for poultry. However I'm in the uk so my selection will be different to what's available in the US.

I give brewers yeast every now and then along with poultry spice. The ducks need more niacin than chickens; especially while growing up - a lack of it from being a duckling can cause leg issues and even neurological conditions. The brewers yeast takes care of this.

My birds free range most of the time so I trust them to eat what they require; especially in the warmest months.
    Keep trying different treats as some birds are picky and stubborn!

Welcome to BYC btw too :D

3. kat450

kat450 New Egg

Oct 28, 2014
    Thanks for the advice (and the welcome!) what about something in additio like greens plus?

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    What is greens plus? I like a product called Poultry Nutri drench . he could need some extra niacin which PD has in it, or add some Brewers yeast to his feed 1 Tab .to 1 cup of feed.
    Welcome!

Have you researched what Mallards eat in the wild? maybe it's not just greens he's missing it could be other nutrients too.

5. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Brewers yeast can be purchased at your local grain elevator. Because it also contains the culture, it won't be as high in protein as the expensive "pure" but its a valuable food product for poultry. It contains the extra niacin that ducks need as well as other necessary vits and amino acids. I buy it in 50# bags for less than $20. and mix in with the feed for all my birds. They seem to like it and chickens will sneak it straight from the container when I'm mixing their rations. You can google "brewers yeast as poultry feed" and get a full summation of the nutrients it provides.

6. kat450

kat450 New Egg

Oct 28, 2014
    Greens plus is actually a human supplement for extra veggies in your diet. I have researched and he is getting a good quality and expensive organic diet. He also gets extra proteins (mealworms). I am going to look into the yeast to add to his diet, but the only thing I can see him missing in his diet is greens. He is picky. But by the last couple of posts it seems like the Brewers yeast is more important then any lack of greens. Thanks!!

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If the Greens plus doesn't have added sodium I say add a little to his feed, a sprinkle over top along with Brewers yeast would be fine. BY is a good nutrient to try if a duck is having weakness in their legs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by