Vitamins

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ginasmarans, Oct 27, 2008.

1. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    I add vitamins and electrolytes to my chick's waterer once I put them in the brooder. How long do you all continue adding them. They are now 8 days old. I'm thinking at least 2 weeks.

2. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    The vitamins won't hurt them but they shouldn't be on the electolytes for that long. Actually if they are on a good balanced chick food they don't need the vitamines either.
    Vitamins and electrolytes are good for birds under stress. Many people who ship live birds will give the birds the V&E a couple of days before shipping.

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I give it to my bantams that I hatch, for about 3-4 days. Then I give it to them about 1-2 times a week.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I only give those to stressed chicks and discontinue after 2 - 3 days.

Chicks I hatch I do not give it to them at all. Healthy chicks don't need more than fresh clean water and chick crumbles.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with 'MissPrissy'. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    Thanks. Mine are doing great,all robust,so I guess the next time I change their water,they will get plain water. When I move them to the outside brooder,I may give it to them for a day or two.

7. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I do agree with Miss Prissy, however, I DO give my newly hatched chicks Avia Charge 2000 in their water. It's got water soluble minerals in it, so if their bods dont' need it, it gets flushed right out. Give me peace of mind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by