1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Vivarium heater to replace heat lamp, chicks 3 weeks old. Possible?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ManyQuestions, Jan 26, 2010.

1. ManyQuestions

ManyQuestions Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    In a bit of a pickle.
    Heat bulb has died as of 2 hours ago. Tried local electrical shops and of course, pet stores, but have none in stock, nor will they until mid next week.
    I have four chicks, 3 light sussex and 1 barred rock......all 3 weeks old.

Would a vivarium heat pad do the trick? Maybe that or would a 100W bulb help...or both?

Other suggestions appreciated.

thanks all

2. Kimiko

Kimiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    riverside
    Hi,

the chicks need to be @ 80-85 degrees. I don't think you can get that with a 100W bulb--need 250W.

I'd be worried about them burning their feet on the heat pad unless it's well padded, but then it isn't likely to help.

There's a Wal mart in Dublin--they carry heat bulbs in the US (and everything else needed to make a brooder).

Options--crank house heat, space heater (ware fire), I suppose you could try a heat pad on the bottom or side of the brooder but I don't know if it would get the temps inside high enough and be safe in terms of fire/melting etc.

Good luck!

3. ManyQuestions

ManyQuestions Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Thanks Kimiko.

I temporarily put it beside heating unit with the bulb and heat pad inside.
    Heat pad isnt that hot....would suit to call it a warm pad rather than 'heat'.

We dont have walmart in Ireland, although there is a single store in Dublin calling itself walmart, its about the size of a 2 car garage.
    Surprised the real walmart hasnt sorted them out, using their name and all.

Anyhoo, looks like I can overnight a bulb from outside my area, hopefully not a problem for long.

4. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Try the 100 watt bulb. Lower or raise the fixture to get the temperature just right. You'll be able to tell when they are warm enough by their behavior.

5. netjumper

netjumper New Egg

May 25, 2009
    hi we always use a heatmat on our hatches until they go outside under a lightbulb at about 3/4 weeks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by