Vocabulary

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dlynne1123, Jun 23, 2011.

1. dlynne1123

dlynne1123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    I am reading all these topics and am not quite sure what the terms are.

Pullet, Roo, Cockeral, Bantam, etc. Is it the age and sex? I know Roo is male but what age or just nickname, and is Pullet female or just young? Need to up my terminology if I go out to purchase some more birds!
    I need to stay away from males unless we are going to eat them, we can't technically have a Rooster (noise maker) where we live 'in town.'

2. lburress

lburress Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    Wichita
    You are right, Pullet is a young hen and
    Cockeral is a young rooster.

[​IMG]

3. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    Pullet is a female younger than ayear
    Hen is a female older than a year

Rooster is a male older than a year
    Cockeral is a male younger than a year,
    Bantam and standard are the size, kinda like a toy poodle or a standard poodle? Like a bantam wyandotte or a standard wyandotte. some breeds only come in bantam (they are called true bantams)

4. dlynne1123

Jun 6, 2011
    Ok so when for sale there are Easter Eggers and Easter Egger Bantams what is the difference? Are the bantams bigger b/c standard?

5. dlynne1123

Jun 6, 2011
    Quote:Or is the bantam the 'toy poodle?' I saw a lot of OE hens this weekend and too small for what we are liking. Pretty colored/Big/Dual purpose birds. We purchased all sex linked (comets and stars) and barred rocks this year and we have gotten attached to them, but we do love our Cochins too. For a backyard collection of pets/eggers I think we'd like a fun variety but friendly too. Cold hardy but I guess technically we are 'cage free' as we have fenced areas and two coops we lock them into at night after they go in. I like My Pet Chicken for breed info but what do you experienced people suggest for me? I don't need 'low maintenance' just no crazy guinea hens or ducks for now. Just hens....

6. ajay

ajay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Bantams are the smaller sized chickens.

7. dlynne1123

Jun 6, 2011
    Thank you! I'll stay away from Bantams as we like larger birds...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by