Vocal hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crooked stripe, Jun 27, 2008.

1. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I was working on my antique tractor this afternoon for the upcoming tractor pulls and one hen started baulking loudly 4-5 times. This is the second time I have heard this. They are 19 weeks old and am waiting for my first eggs. I thought something was getting her. The dog was in the barn with me so that is out. How much noise do hens make when laying? I did an walk about of the area that the noise was coming from and could not find any egg. What should I be looking for? John

2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Oh my gosh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just came in from outside to ask the very SAME THING!!!!!!!!!! Mine are the same age even. I too did a walk through and found nothing. Someone has been in the nesting boxes and rearranged the golf balls! Do you think they are close? Good luck to you. I keep thinking ...any day now!!

3. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    That's what mine do when they are laying. The laying hen will start, then the rest all chime in. Keep watching - might be soon!!

4. Moselle

Moselle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    I'd say someone is definitely getting ready to lay. It may be a few days yet. I'm still waiting for mine (18wks) to get interested in their comfy nests and golf balls.

5. crooked stripe

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    It happened this morning. One Buff Orpington went to the nest box and the baucking started. She layed in the last nest box in the darkest part of the coop. Just like a kid at Christmas I am so excited. 19 weeks and 5 days John

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  6. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    CONGRATS JOHN!!!!!!!!!!! I am so jealous! Any day now.....................

7. crooked stripe

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    It is on the small size but I read they will get bigger. It will take 4 of this size to make breakfast. John

8. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    Congratulations......you are on your way to many many tasty omlettes. My girls sometimes sound as though everyone is being killed..... slowly.....there is so much loud baulking. My girls are particularily vocal after they lay....like they are really proud. And they should be recognized for their efforts. If I am not out there with them, they have to congratulate each other.

We found that the new, small eggs were the most flavorful and tasted the very best of all the eggs. It might take 4 to make your breakfast, but it will be a breakfast most would envy.
    Anne

9. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    [​IMG]:weee Congragulation's on your first egg. I alway's say the whole flock has to celebrate when a egg get's laid. I don't run out of the house with the shotgun anymore when I hear this noise, but my old man still does lol: old I don't have the heart to tell him it's only a egg being laid. He will figure it out one day. Wait until you hear the noise a hen make's when she come's off a nest of egg's to eat. Now that will have you running out of the house with a shotgun. lol: ep Oh yea & the egg's will get bigger. Be sure to thank your hen & slip her an extra treat. I swear this help's with my egg production. PEACE

10. crooked stripe

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I got my second egg just before noon. I had a sandwich and thought I would check on the way back to the barn. Low and behold a second egg in the same nest box. I wish I knew which one layed this one, same size. Couldn't be the same hen could it? John

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by