voice change overnight

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tia, Aug 27, 2010.

1. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    My little Mallard duck's voice changed overnight from a nice sweet little chirp to this deep little chirp... I'm thinking it must be a drake. I was very surprised. I walk over and talk to him when I come home from work....and his voice got deep overnight. He sounds a lot different than my runners did as ducklings... but they were all female... so that makes sense.

2. rollyard

rollyard Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    I would have thought the deeper sound to be indicative of a female. I noticed the first rudimentary changes to my female Campbell ducklings voice @ about four weeks of age; seemingly O/N.

3. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    Interesting. I thought the females had a quack and the males a deep voice... I know that is the case with my runners.

4. rollyard

rollyard Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Ok, I understand what you are saying so to be more specific, yes, the ducks have a "louder" quack, & young drakes a lower "raspy" voice. Sound better?

5. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    I currently have seven 'ducklings' (I think they are about seven weeks old now). I waited and waited for to hear some quacks and thought I maybe had two out of seven at 5-6 weeks. I went on vacation for a week and just got back and was listening carefully to them all last night and ..., I now have every imaginable range of raspy quacks - high and squeeky, low and honky, nearly silent and everything in between, but only one that even closely resembles the quack, quack, quack you'd expect from a duck. As T Hi knows, it seems I had all males last time, and it's not looking much better for this group unless there are just some unusual voiced females in the mix. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by