Vomit and wing spasms.

Chickem707

Songster
Jul 11, 2018
I just went outside to check on my ill chick, and she was drinking, after that, her wings went directly up and she started shrieking. It lasted about 5 seconds. Then a long string of water fell out or her mouth and she was panting. Anyone know what this is? It was quite scary

Attachments

• 04AC17E7-0BDC-449A-829E-41250BFFCF1D.jpeg
    04AC17E7-0BDC-449A-829E-41250BFFCF1D.jpeg
    526.9 KB · Views: 16
I just went outside to check on my ill chick, and she was drinking, after that, her wings went directly up and she started shrieking. It lasted about 5 seconds. Then a long string of water fell out or her mouth and she was panting. Anyone know what this is? It was quite scary
I'm sorry to hear about your chick.
How old is she?
You mention she is ill - have you been treating her with anything, what is her initial illness?

Check her crop, what does that feel like - sometimes a chicken may drink too much at one time and can have water spill back out. The panting is concerning, is she still doing that?

Feel her crop before she goes to bed, then first thing in the morning - it should have food in it at night and be empty or flat by morning before she eats/drinks. If she still has food in it or the crop is puffy/full then she may have an impacted, slow or sour crop. Crop problems can sometimes arise when a chicken is sick from something else like Coccidiosis, worms and infection. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

I'm sorry to hear about your chick.
How old is she?
You mention she is ill - have you been treating her with anything, what is her initial illness?

Check her crop, what does that feel like - sometimes a chicken may drink too much at one time and can have water spill back out. The panting is concerning, is she still doing that?

Feel her crop before she goes to bed, then first thing in the morning - it should have food in it at night and be empty or flat by morning before she eats/drinks. If she still has food in it or the crop is puffy/full then she may have an impacted, slow or sour crop. Crop problems can sometimes arise when a chicken is sick from something else like Coccidiosis, worms and infection. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
She’s 9 weeks, i think it is a vitamin deficiency and she’s has vitamins in water & food. I usually check her crop it is ok. I’ll check tomorrow, but I’m most worried about her wings. Thanks anyway.

She’s 9 weeks, i think it is a vitamin deficiency and she’s has vitamins in water & food. I usually check her crop it is ok. I’ll check tomorrow, but I’m most worried about her wings. Thanks anyway.
What is wrong with her wings? Can she use them?
Photos of her or a video may be helpful. Videos need to be uploaded to youtube or similar platform, then you provide us a link.

What is wrong with her wings? Can she use them?
Photos of her or a video may be helpful. Videos need to be uploaded to youtube or similar platform, then you provide us a link.
I’ll try and post a video tomorrow, but she can use her wings fine. Just right before she spat up the water her wings went directly up, pointing towards the sky. She seemed in distress at this point.

I suspect she may have aspirated fluid into her lungs when she drank, and was shrieking to get it out of her airway. Please let us know how her crop is in the morning.
Unfortunately I’m away right now, but as soon as I’m back (few hours), I’ll reply back.

Any update on your little one? I think she probably drank too much water and maybe inhaled some by accident, and her extreme reaction was a reflesive one to help propel the fluid out of her airway. If they go without water for a period of time, they will drink a ton in a frenzy to hydrate themselves, and this is the time that aspiration is most common; especially with younger birds. If she hasn't suffered any lasting effects, this is probably the culprit.

Any update on your little one? I think she probably drank too much water and maybe inhaled some by accident, and her extreme reaction was a reflesive one to help propel the fluid out of her airway. If they go without water for a period of time, they will drink a ton in a frenzy to hydrate themselves, and this is the time that aspiration is most common; especially with younger birds. If she hasn't suffered any lasting effects, this is probably the culprit.
I haven’t seen this again, so i think she just had a big gulp. Thank you for the advice

Back
Top Bottom