1. Johannad

Johannad New Egg

Nov 11, 2014
    South Africa
    Something is running from my Bantam hen's beak. It is a slimly liquid - like vomit? What is it and what can I do to treat it?

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    • Can you post a picture of her in this condition?
    • How long has this been going on
    • how old is she?
    • Did water get empty and this happened only after drinking water
    • what is the size of her crop
    • Any new birds to the flock
    • does she free range
    • How old is she
    • Has there been any change in her eating, drinking or walking problems.

There could be several reasons for this which are discussed in this section: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

It sounds as if there is a problem with crop but please do read thoroughly in the reference above as some other things can cause this problem as well. Looking forward to seeing more information about her. And wishing you the best! Blessings...

3. Johannad

Johannad New Egg

Nov 11, 2014
    South Africa
    Hallo - thank you for the feedback! I massage her crop yesterday-a lot of slimy greens stuff came out. Unfortunately I could not take a photo reason I was alone and had the hen on my lap. Afterwards I gave her some Epsom salt. She ran around this morning with a big cockroach in her beak and she does look ok, but the crop is still enlarged. I will massage again this afternoon and if there still is stuff coming out I will take her to the vet? Thank you for the nice article-it helped a lot. Kind Regards

4. Johannad

Johannad New Egg

Nov 11, 2014
    South Africa
    Will post a photo as soon as I am able to take it
    The condition is going on for 3 days now
    She is about 1 year old
    Fresh Water is always available she never went without
    Crop is enlarged
    No new birds
    She does free range
    No change in any eating, drinking or walking but it is currently very hot in SA (about 40 degree C) for the past couple of weeks.
    She is as greedy as always

5. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Okay, does the crop ever empty? as in the morning before eating, is it empty or always enlarged? If you cannot tell because she is out and about before you are, put her in a temporary pen in the evening and see if her crop is reduced done 12 hours later. It's not impacted if it shrinks. a few drops Olive oil in her mouth can help an impacted crop move now. Please avoid Epsom salts as this can be a problem - salt can kill in poultry .... You may need to offer on something she would eat as on scrambled cooked eggs. It might be sour crop and if that's the case (you will smell it) and it is fungal based and for that you would usually need a vet unless you have abilities of a vet tech. Be careful when you massage her not force out fluid as it might go into the hens respiratory chicken causing other problems. http://luckyhensrescuenorthwest.weebly.com/crop-help-sheet.html is another short visual I found on impacted, sour crops. Best of wishes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by