Vomiting chicken foul smell

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by broodymomma, Nov 9, 2011.

1. broodymomma

broodymomma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2010
    Hello all,

I have a chicken that was removed two days ago because we noticed she was lethargic and seemed to separate herself from the flock. She slept outside the coop as well and I left her because if she is sick, I don't want the others contaminated. Well, this morning I decided to put her in a cage and give her some Duramycin-10. This is the only medicine I really have and use when I have a sick chicken which has not been too often. She is about 1 year old, type unknown. Came from incubation project and we took the chicks when they were about 8 weeks old. So, anyway, this morning when I went to put her in cage, she was twisting neck in a wierd way and looked a bit strange. Then liquid starting coming out of her mouth and it smelled foul! I tilted her forward and quite a bit continued coming out. It was like when a child throws up all over. So, I put her in the cage. She did drink some water with duramycin. She had been eating and drinking. I have never seen a chicken vomit so I was concerned and wondered if anyone else is familiar with what it might be. Like I said, has only really happened last couple of days. Before that she looked like heck and we just contributed to the fact that she was molting. Lots of neck feathers were gone and starting to grow back so she looks stubby necked. Any clues? Thanks. Stumped in the Hudson Valley.

2. cuntryuppiechick

cuntryuppiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    I haven't had that but maybe try searching...wry neck or twisted neck.
    They can drown because the breathing hole is in front of the swallowing hole. You may have to watch that they don't throw up with their head at a bad angle so they don't breathe the vomit into the lungs. There are diagrams online that show how to correctly induce vomiting so you can see how you may want to hold them if they vomit again.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  3. broodymomma

Jun 24, 2010
    Thanks. I did do a search and alot of stuff came up, nothing to do with ither of those topics:(

4. mcjessen

mcjessen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Coeur d Alene ID
    What about sour crop? I've seen several other people state info about picking up their chickens and them throwing up stinky gunk.

5. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

It sounds like she has a sour, impacted crop. Antibiotics could make it worse.

6. broodymomma

Jun 24, 2010
    Thanks! Just read about it and I am making up a mixture and headed outside. Will advise to our happenings. THANKS ALL:)

7. broodymomma

Jun 24, 2010
    OK. Upon closer examination, I was feeling for breast area to see where to rub up to make anything come out and on her one side felt a warm ans squishy spot. It feels warm and can hear the liquid sloshing. It is close to her neck. As I held her I could see a bubble appear in her skin as I was rubbing the area. Missing lots of feathers from her molt so I can see it. I was going to put a couple of drops of oil down her throat but put her back inside her cage to be sure. Wanted to post this new information to see if it does confirm with a sour crop or am I dealing with something else. Afraid I might pop her bubble and she would die. Don't know what to do. Should I just shoot her? Am I deluding myself that I can help her? Don't want her to suffer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by