Vomiting chicken? Worms? UPDATE

15gardenchooks

In the Brooder
May 31, 2016
This is probably a really stupid question.This morning I was checking the eggs under some of my broody hens and one of them appeared to vomit. I lifted her up from underneath and as I did a liquid came out of her mouth. It was a clearish liquid, could it just be that she recently ate and drank? She is thinner than usual but I figured it was just because she is broody.
She is a bantam brahma hen just over a year old. She is my favorite hen, I'm so worried about her!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I checked on her and she spit up some more its mostly water and some leaves and grass.
Also could this be related worms? A few weeks ago I found some big white worms in poop, I kept checking but never saw anymore. She I still acting normal, I moved her from the nest and p her outside. I also found one of my roosters acting strange, he is sleeping or something all day.
Has anyone dealt with this kind of thing before? Should I separate the hen from the rest of the flock?

Last edited:
Not stupid. I've had chickens do that before. Not trying to scare you or anything, but it is usually right before they die. However, I have had hens do it a few times before and they were fine and still are healthy and alive. It could be just because she drank right before. Sorry I can't help you more.

Welcome to BYC!

I don't know. Honestly, it could be nothing. If I'm remembering right, I had a hen in the pretty much same situation as yours - broody and all - and she had gotten a drink and the clear liquid came out. I was worried but she is fine and doing well to this day.

With your added information, you might want to separate the hen from the rest of the flock and deworm them all. How long has she been broody? If you break her can you put her eggs under another hen or in an incubator?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom