Vomiting chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cyan Night, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Cyan Night

Cyan Night Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    My production red just starting acting very strange. I received her about a week ago from a neighbor, so she's been seperated from the others. She's about three months old. A while ago I noticed her with her mouth open, moments later she threw up what looked like water. She's also scratching at her throat. I checked down her throat and noticed that it doesn't look like she has a tongue, but the passage looks clear. She's been on medicated starter feed and every now and then I give her a few mealworms. The clear liquid looked like water at first, but then she shook her head and it was almost gelatinous. It also smells. What could this be? Any help and advice is greatly appreciated!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    1 person likes this.
  3. rbaker0345

rbaker0345 Big Mamma Brahma

Can you open her mouth and take a picture?

4. Cyan Night

Cyan Night Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks, eggcessive. I'm thinking maybe she ate something too quickly and/or water went down the wrong pipe because she's looking pretty good now.
    And I can try to get a picture, but she doesn't like to make things easy.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I don't know a whole lot about chicken anatomy, but it seems that chickens throw up fairly easily, especially if their held with their head slightly the same level or lower than the body. There may not be a sphincter between the esophagus and the crop, and water can just roll out. Since the crop contents smelled bad, that can be a good sign of sour crop. She may have felt better after throwing up, so watch her over the next few days for a round squishy crop early in the morning when it should be empty. Nystatin or Medistatin (available without a prescription online) can treat it.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by