Vomiting your chicken... Steps please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by top of the hill, Nov 29, 2011.

1. top of the hill

top of the hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Connecticut
    I know sounds aweful... but I think its what needs to happen next in my attempt to combat sour crop. This morning I massaged her crop and she vomited herself twice but her crop is still full and squishy. I have seperated her from her sisters with ACV water and a little bit of yogurt. Also, not sure she has pooped... didn't see any traces of it this morning. Is that normal for chicken with sour crop?.

Just would like to know the steps for vomiting a chicken from those of you who have actually risked doing it.

Thanks

2. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Here is a link to great instructions for caring for sour crop (see post #3). Although there are no steps for making her vomit, I understand doing so is risky as it can cause the chicken to choke on the vomited material. I hope the instructions in this link help you and your hen. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=430981

3. Lucysmom002

Lucysmom002 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    It took my chick several weeks but she fully recovered from sour crop just with the ACV water. Vet said do not starve them or vomit them.

4. top of the hill

Jun 20, 2011
    Connecticut
    Thanks for your responses. Lots of great information! Good news she pooped so somethings moving through. Ill keep doing what im doing and avoid vomiting her. Its not worth the risk quite yet.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Had one with sour crop start doing it on her own as I was carrying her to the house to deal with her issue. She aspirated and died right there in my arms. Not something you want.

This is the usual way to handle sour crop:

Same protocol for all sour crop issues. Separate the hen, 24 hours with no food, only water with 1/4 teaspoon of acidified copper sulfate (comes in powder form usually at the feed store) in a gallon in plastic waterer only. If you can't find that, use 2 tablespoons of organic, unfiltered apple cider vinegar in the plastic gallon waterer, changed daily. Day 2, add only plain yogurt. Day 3, add plain scrambled egg to the yogurt. Each day, massage the crop, several times each day, pushing toward the back of the crop, not upward. Day 3, maybe some soupy oatmeal added to the eggs and yogurt, but NO grains. Hopefully, that will clear it up.

6. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Quote:I'm bookmarking this - thank you [​IMG]

7. top of the hill

Jun 20, 2011
    Connecticut
    Thanks speckled hen, will start this tommorow!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by