Vorwerk chicken breed origin

Dinosauer

In the Brooder
Sep 14, 2019
I m from Germany and did some research about the Vorwerk chicken breed:
The Vorwerk chicken from Hamburg, Germany have nothing to do with the german company (located in Wuppertal) vorwerk that produces vacuum cleaner.
In June 1901 the rich Hamburger merchant Oscar Vorwerk proudly showed off his black and white Lakenfelder to some buissiness visitors. One of them said: "Quite nice looking little grey creatures." Oscar Vorwerk was annoyed by this teasing. He decided to create his own new chicken breed. It ought to have gold plumage instead of white. Because industrialisation in Hamburg was in full progress and the air was filled with coal dust. Thats why the lakenfelder looked grey instead of black and white.
With 300 chickens and only in 8 years his chicken keeper Otto Seeger managed to create the new Vorwerk breed based on the design of Oscar Vorwerk.
It is well documented that he used Lakenfelder for the color pattern, the Ramelsloher for the vitality and figure, and buff orpington for bulk and eggs in winter and later Andalusien for the lower plumage. (Sorry I m not sure how to translate this plumage. it s the deeper plumage underneath the "outside" plumage).
Then in 1912 Oscar Vorwerk wanted to make his breed popular in Germany. For that reason he gave away for free some of his Vorwerk chickens to interested breeders.
1933 Oscar Vorwerk died at heard attack and in his last will again he declared that all his Vorwerk chicken are to be given to known breeds spread all over germany.
Shortly after WW2 the Vorwerk chicken were allmost extinct – but nowadys they are very popular in Germany. The vorwerk chicken belong to the top 10 most frequently breeds of large fowl chicken in germany.

Both hen and roosters have the same beautiful and distinctive black and gold plumage.
The Rooster weighs 3 the hen 2,5 kg. The Vorwerk hens lay aproximatly 170 yellowish eggs of 55g each year.
Although Vorwerk chicken are often discribed as a dual-purpose chicken I heard that the meet is a bit chewy. The temper of this chickens is alert and active, but they dont like to fly much. The hens rarely go broody.

I would be glad if you consider watching this story, see the Lakenvelder, Ramelsloh, Orpington, Andalusien and of course the VORWERK chicken breed in my Video:

Back
Top Bottom