Vorwerk owners check this out. Pic.

mrandmrschicken

Songster
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
NW IA
15765_vivian_028.jpg

This is a pic of my vorwerk pullet Vivian. Anyone with experience with this breed please let me know if you find them quirky, or if you notice different behaviors with yours than other birds. Also if you know anything about their laying habits.
Thanks!

I know nothing of this breed, in fact I've never heard of them, but what a lovely pullet! I have some mixed breeds with a very similar color pattern.

Thank you for posting this, and giving me another breed to look up!

I have a pair of golden lakenvelders (same breed kind of) and they are definately more *independent* than my other breeds. Not mean or flighty but keep more to themselves. At 12 weeks though the cockeral has worked himself up to third in line though and top roost status. It's kind of like he is alpha roo of the younger birds and only answers to the alpha and beta roo of the older birds.
Other than that I know nothing about the egg laying habit yet
sad.png

I can't even convince my D'uccles to start laying and they are 21 weeks.

ETA: Your pullet is really gorgeous - no black through the body.

Last edited:
Quote:
According to some sites I looked up today, Golden Lakenvelder is another name for Vorwerks, so it sounds like you may have the same breed.

As for egglaying,
smile.png
, patience! 20 weeks is about the youngest any breed starts to lay, that's just the fastest maturing breeds. Others take a little longer, a few may take from 6 months to nearly a year to start. Not laying at 12 weeks is normal. I don't know of any that lay sooner than 20 weeks.

DB - I know they are not supposed to be laying at 12 weeks. The OP was just asking about how they lay and was letting her know I have no idea. Some call GL's by Vowerk but to some the Vowerk is a LF where the GL is more of a bantam.

Mrandmrschicken - is Vivian a small bird? It looks like she is pretty tiny.

I was also wondering the size/shape of Vivian a bit. From what I understand a Vorwerk is a bird shaped somewhat like a Rhode Island Red, whereas a Lakenvelder is shaped a bit more like a Hamburg with the long tail and more streamlined body type. Vivian looks a bit more Lakenvelder shaped from the picture.

Here's a website with some decent Lakenvelder pics on it:
http://www.hetpluimpje.netfirms.com/sierkippen.htm

And for comparison, some Vorwerks:
http://www.daylife.com/photo/01aUe5G3qagge

Do you have any other picks of her?

Urban Coyote

Last edited:
The APA does not recognize Vorwerks in either standard or bantam, nor have they accepted Golden Lakenvelders, (SoP '01 edition). I do not have the ABA standard, but according to Carol Ekarius in Storey's Guide to Poultry Breeds, Vorwerks were accepted into the ABA Bantam Standard in 1985. I don't think there are any standard Vorweks in the US. Also do not believe the birds called Golden Lakenvelders meet the European standard for LF Vorwerks.

Your Vorwerk pullet is a very pretty bird by the way!

I am not an expert, so these are just my own observations.

Quote:
Sorry, when I saw the frownie face after you said they weren't laying yet, (before the edit) I thought it meant you were unhappy that they weren't laying yet. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Back
Top Bottom