Vote 4 best breed.Im getting new ones for my Birthday

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Vamp-A-Billy Princess, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    I am getting an incubator and some eggs and some new chicks with my birthday money. (it was yesterday). I want a new breed that is sweet and likes to be held and is friendly. My Marans are stuck up and hate being held. Is that a breed thing or did I just get a mean batch? Vote for your favorite breed. I need input.
    Miss Annie

2. chickmomma30

chickmomma30 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2008
    Odessa MO
    My Barred Rocks love to be held and pet. THey will jump on my hands and roost. THough i spend about an hour a day with them so that they will be used to me come egg time. And they are about 5-6 weeks old.

3. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Happy Belated Birthday! Buff Orpintons have a very sweet personality

4. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, Orps are wonderful. Australorps are exceptionally calm and friendly, too. They are also super layers.

Lori

5. mandylovespets

mandylovespets Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2008
    I chose to get Buff Orpington's because I love the way they look, so I asked everyone what their temperments are like and all that good stuff... I've heard great things about BO's!!! I also heard that because they are pretty heavy birds that they are not as likey to fly around and stuff..... And plus they lay brown eggs!!! YUMMMM!!! Just wanted to share my thoughts with you!!! Good luck.... And Happy late Birthday!!!!! I got 2 duckies and a chick for my b-day!!!!!

6. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Buff Orpingtons are really nice, and I loved my Black Australorps. Black Giants (look a lot like the BA) are nice too, and speckled sussex.

7. Slike

Slike Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Puna, Big Island, HI
    Happy late birthday! I have to be a broken record and say Orpingtons again, lol. They're just so nice and have very gentle temperments compared to other breeds. My hen will let me put her on her back and play with her feet, let me look at her wings etc. They're also very easy to take care of if they were ever to get injured I would think for this reason. They don't struggle when you hold them. Other than that, silkies are also pretty mellow and sweet from my experiences with them as a kid. Either would be a great choice imo. Good luck! And post pics when whatever you decide on hatches [​IMG]

8. deborah

deborah Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    Chelsea, MI
    I agree with ChickMama. Our Barred Rocks love to be picked up and petted. We stroke they chests and wattles. Sometime you can see them close their eyes and relax. They are nearly a year old now. They pull on your pant legs for attention. They follow us around, even when we don't have treats.

They are very gentle and do not peck. Even when our broody hen was sitting on eggs. We could reach under her to check eggs without disturbing her, or her disturbing us.

We feed them organic feed and let them free range. They are happy chickens and they give us great eggs. I sell/give away excess eggs and I have had more than one person tell me how our eggs are better than other "farm fresh" eggs they get.

Deb

9. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    I [​IMG] Cochins & Brahmas Big & Small:love!!!

I do have a couple young BO because I wanted to see what everyone is talking about & they do seem sweet even my 12wk Roo

10. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I can vouch for cochins and orpingtons; I have both and love them,,,I have one cochin who is really friendly (bantam) and my orps would never hurt a fly and they are really nice

I also heard brahmas and barred rocks and Salmon Favorelles but I dont have any, I do have Salmon and rock eggs in the bator though [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by