1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Vote for Your Favorite Chick Starter

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Superior Chicks, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Superior Chicks

Superior Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm doing a rather informal poll on chick starter. What do you use?

Please list only MEDICATED feed, and not home made feeds.

I use only medicated feeds for the first 8 weeks, then generally stick with the same company but w/o the medication. But I am willing to explore all options. Even if I have to order on-line and pay the $$ for shipping, I want the peeps to have the best available. Where we live there aren't many options for us.

Its been awhile since I had babies ([​IMG] lol no pun intended) and would just like to know what everyone is using. And if you have a reason why please expound!

Thanks everybody.

Ma

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Purina is the best I found,

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Purina Start and Grow medicated.

4. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Co-op gamebird starter. No really. I'd used purina and a couple other chick starters, then I had chicks and poults.

When I saw the feather in and growth rate on that group, I've fed gamebird starter to all chicks and poults ever since. It's not that much more and there's good bang for the buck.

5. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

I like the Purina, but we're ising Manna Pro now. Does the game bird starter come in a medicated feed?

Sonja

6. walkswithdog

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Yes, it's medicated. I always use medicated when they're little.

7. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks, I do that too. I may have to try some game bird starter when we run out of the Manna Pro.

Sonja

8. walkswithdog

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    I've got 2 week olds with chest,shoulder, back feathering with a good start, and fully feathered wings and leg /thigh feathering (that lunatic fringe on sizzles on the thigh and feets). I was NOT getting that when they were on simple chick starter. It's been that way through the last four batches, no matter the breed, on even the slower weaker chicks.

The game starter is staying.

9. hippichick

hippichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    I like Lone Star brand. I find it doesn't turn into a powder as fast as others I've used. [​IMG]

Paula

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by