Vote now! Cochin....Harry or Harriet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bburn, Sep 25, 2010.

1. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Please help.

Have been holding out hope that this was Harriet and not Harry. (had so many roosters!)

They are all 22 weeks old.

Am thinking now that I see saddle feathers....stringy ones. This is the last time I am asking. There are no rooster behaviors. Very Sweet. Harms none. (if it is Harry I have serious problems...STILL having to cull two BR's because I am keeping this one no matter what)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks....beth

2. PippyChicken

PippyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    AL
    VERYY pretty Harry!! Sorry,but it's so pretty!

3. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    We have a Buff cochin that is now 26wks. His hackles are a long flowing scarf and there are no real saddle feathers to speak of and his comb is tall, the waddles hang down about 2 1/2". At 22 wks and earlier there was no question he was a Roo. I'm kinda' thinkin you may have a hen.

4. Loddie Da

Loddie Da Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2007
    Troy, New York
    If you see saddles (which I am seeing them to) Then you know it's a Harry [​IMG]
    but his face is looking female-ish to me.

Harry is a looker though, I love barred Cochin.

5. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Harry!

6. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    Harry, sorry to say

7. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Looks like a Harriet to me.

One of my cochin pullets had two pointy tail feathers that caused me lots of stress until she began laying. I thought she was a cockerel but she was so sweet and DH's favorite, I really hoped she was a girl. Lo and behold, I went to toss scratch and didn't see her. I looked in the coop and there she was, sitting in a little nest she had scratched out in the litter. 15 min later she came out clucking the egg song and submitted to the roo. There was an egg.

By 22 weeks, the comb and wattles should be "how they should be."

If she's truly a pullet, the combs and wattles shouldn't get much bigger if at all.

8. slackwater

slackwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    I dunno...all of my boys have been obvious boys from 5-6 weeks or so. Their combs and wattles developed very early on. Granted, I don't have any that have reached laying age, but unless they are really, really late developing boys, they've been pretty dimorphic since a young age.

I'd guess Harriett...but you won't know until s/he crows or lays an egg [​IMG]

9. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    harry

10. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Well.....Harry(it) is going to get an area of he/she's own. I love that bird. So calm and sweet. If she should lay and egg you can just bet I will post it! However, if she does not I am going to get he/she a couple of girlfriends.

You know, I posted this bird once before and the outcome was just exactly the same. If he/she lays an egg you can just bet I'll post it. However, I am aware that he is gray and white and not black and white. And her comb is really small...smaller that some of my hens. And again, he never crows and I watch her every morning from the window in the house. If she is a roo then he just is......

thanks so much all......will post if she crows and I will post if he lays an egg......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by