Vote now! Cochin....Harry or Harriet?

Harriet!
big_smile.png

Well....the Harry's have it.

The BO roo beat him up one day and I had to make him his own pen in the big run. After a search for Cochin hens FOR MONTHS I finally found a woman who had some a couple of hours away from where my mother lives. Picked them up late in the afternoon and the next morning DH was looking at them and said....once again you have been ripped off! It was two hens...very pretty fluffy black hens and two roosters....very pretty black roosters. You could tell when they all turned their backsides to me....two hen butts and two rooster butts.

So they are all serving their time in quarantine and I am searching for someone that NEEDS one or two beautiful black cochin roosters!

And Harry....he knows the girls are his...he can see them. When the girls are in view in the corner he chirps and talks to them. When the boys are in the corner he goes to the other side of the pen....gee, wonder what they are saying? I guess the boys can live the winter out in the tractor, but the girls will go in with Harry in a few more weeks. Just can't eat the boys....they are too pretty and they cost enough that I really don't want to eat the dern things.

Harry, it seems, had some skinny rooster feathers that could not be seen because of how fluffy he was. One day I was standing there talking at him and the wind blew and out came those long skinny feathers. The amazing thing about Cochins is how slowly they develop....especially when you compare them to the other chickens.

The hard thing is that I put a huge crate in Harry's pen that is full of bedding.....I really thought he might sleep in it. But no, he sleeps on the ground. There is a cover on top of the pen and there is tin from a barn surrounding the entire pen that blocks the wind. DH says he is not building another blankity, blankity coop....that other people don't do this...have multiple pens and coops! If I could just get him to get online on BYC and read a little....maybe then he would understand. SOOOOO....yesterday I come home with a free wood crate that a lady gave me.....my intentions are to build some kind of shelter for Harry and his girls and lock them up at night for a while until they get used to roosting inside! (and girls, I married a carpenter...you would think that it would be easy for me to get a new coop!)

Thanks to everyone that tried to help me decide if Harry was Harry or Harriet.....still sad he is a boy....but love that boy! AND my DGD absolutely loves him! She is going to offer to buy the 2x4's for Pop to build Harry's coop....maybe that will hit home!

Oh, just think what nice babies he'll make!

Thanks for the update, I was looking back over the pics and was thinking roo, then thinking pullet, then roo...........
hmm.png

donrae.....that is the way it went with Harry. Then he decided he wanted a girly for himself and the BO roo said oh no you don't.....

I really can't stand for roosters to fight. I was waiting it out to see if Harry just might be Harriet. I was so surprised the day I went out and he was ruffed up and there were feathers in the coop from him and his feet were bleeding....I think the feet bleeding was from him trying to get away from the BO and then the girls pecked at them.

I have really grown to love LF Cochins. Gentle and harm none.

And yes, am looking forward to spring when his little girlies are laying and hopefully one will go broody and hatch some eggs for us.

My husband has suggested instead of him building the third coop that I get rid of one of the groups. So I told him it would have to be the mixed flock because I was not going to mix either my cochins or my barred rocks.

Just give my DGD some time and I will post the pics of the new coop!!!

Back
Top Bottom