Voting on Chickens in Las Cruces NM, email posted for the City Council

WriterofWords

Has Fainting Chickens
14 Years
Dec 25, 2007
Chaparral, New Mexico
I found this story while surfing the website for ours, it's pretty interesting. The nurse is an idiot,, "Speaking as a nurse....." She's trying to give the impression that she is qualified to say they are dangerous or something,,, what a wasted education in my own opinion.

It's on page 6 under New Mexico Videos

http://www.kvia.com/Global/category.asp?C=55358&nav=menu193_6

Contact emails for the Council in Cruces:

Mayor Ken Miyagishima at [email protected]
Miguel G. Silva at [email protected]
Dolores Connor at [email protected]
Dolores Archuleta at [email protected]
Nathan P. Small at [email protected]
Gil Jones at [email protected]
Sharon K. Thomas at sthomas@las-cruces

Last edited:
Thank you for your input!

Mayor Pro-tem Archuleta

Sent: Thursday, August 06, 2009 9:04 AM
To: Mayor; Miguel G. Silva; Dolores Connor; Dolores Archuleta; Nathan P. Small; Gil Jones; sthomas@las-cruces
Subject: Chickens - Go For It!!!

I don't live in Las Cruces but I do live in Chaparral and I have chickens for eggs, for meat, and for pets. I belong to a group called BackyardChickens.com, they teach people about raising birds for meat, eggs, and pets and also educate them about flu's and such. I invite you to stop by online and check it out and share it with those opposed to the ordnance.

What is the verdict? Are backyard chickens allowed in Las Cruces? I am moving there this month, and I started buying a house (on a third of acre) after hearing the law had changed. But the more I search, the old law keeps coming up. I need my chickens!

Thanks!

I have lived around animals all my life and have found that the least problematic are chickens or ducks and pygmy goats. The MOST problematic are dogs that are not cared for by there owners and cats that are not properly fed or housed that go wild. The ordinance in Las Curces against having chickens and ducks is ludicrous and shows the lack of intellect by our city council and Mayor Myagashima.Las Cruces began as a rural city and has not change in most respects, except for animal ordinances

The ordinances against farm animals should not be changed until the density of the city reaches 250,000 or more. The city can not supply the needs of the homeowners and have there heads stuck where the sun doesn't shine. Las Cruces began as a farm community and still derives most of its income from agriculture. When kept in a clean and wholesome environment and condition, there should be no ordinances against any farm animals other than horses and cows. Even then we are allowed to spread cow or horse manure on our lawns to fertilize our grass, so what harm can farm animals do to the land.

I think that a person should be able to keep animals of their choice, as long as it is not disagreeable to the neighbors around them.

Archsteve: The ordinance as it stands now, is that you can have back yard chickens if you have 1/2 acre or more, and not too many complaints of a rooster crowing. Most people are up by the time the rooster would crow (daybreak).

So... We are buying a house that has over a half acre but is in town. We can have chickens?!?! Seriously! Could someone send me a link where it approves this? I have searched and this is the best I have found. SO excited!

Back
Top Bottom