Vulture Hocks, Broodies, Raising Chicks - d'Uccles, Sultans, Silkies, Cochins

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Spangled, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Spangled

Spangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    Serenity Valley
    Besides d'Uccles, Sultans, Silkies, Cochins, Breda?, BC Marans, I'm not sure which birds sometimes have vulture hocks.

However, I did end up with some Silkies that have vulture hocks, and I'm wondering if anyone has had a vulture-hocked broody that incubated, hatched, and raised chicks. Is there anything I should watch for? Did you see anything odd? Issues? Troubles? Or was it all very straightforward?

Note: Yes, I realize that some of those breeds are not supposed to have vulture hocks. I'm hoping my Silkies with vulture hocks can still hatch out eggs from other chickens easily enough. I imagine they can, but I wanted to check with those that have personal experience with this situation.

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Vulture hocks are Disqualification in show for Cochins and Silkies, but are just feathers on their hocks. Nothing dangerous about them. D'Uccles are required to have them.

I have never seen it on a non-feather footed bird.

3. Spangled

Jan 12, 2012
    Serenity Valley
    Yes, I understand. I have d'Uccles. I know the DQ business. They're also not supposed to be on BC Marans. Yes, genetically they're connected to feathered feet.

But what has been your experience with vultured-hocked birds when they have incubated, hatched, and raised chicks?

4. aoxa

I have a cochin hen who is a wonderful broody. She has had no problems with raising and hatching chicks. I think she may have a light vulture hock, but not very obvious. D'Uccles are also great mothers, and they have vulture hocks.

I'm not sure how a tuft of feathers would ever interfere with this. Is there a reason you thought it could affect that?

5. Spangled

Jan 12, 2012
    Serenity Valley
    No real reason. I just know how unpredictable chickens can be at times. My d'Uccles have more than just tufts, they have some good-sized and very stiff feathers on their hocks and seem pokey to me. [​IMG]

I guess since there's a lot I don't know that I just figured that I would make sure there wasn't something I wasn't aware of that could be a problem with vulture hocks on broodies. It's not smart of me to assume that it wouldn't be a problem.

I mean, I assumed that I wouldn't get Silkies with vulture hocks, that vulture hocks were rare problem, and then Wham! I ended up with vulture hocks on my Silkies. Good grief. I just don't like being blindsided. Kwim? I'm kind of at that "What next?" place.

6. aoxa

How old are your silkies? They go through a stage where there are vulture hocks really young, but they grow out of it.

7. Spangled

Jan 12, 2012
    Serenity Valley
    Really? My other Silkies don't have vulture hocks and didn't go through that stage. And not all of this batch have vulture hocks, just some of them.

That's weird. They can grow out of vulture hocks? But then Silkies do have a weird feather thing going on, don't they? Will have to research this further later. Thanks for your help.

And if anyone has experienced any negatives or things I should watch for with broodies with vulture hocks, please post them. (I have used broodies to hatch before, just not ones with vulture hocks.)

8. aoxa

Some had them, some didn't. None have them now at 30+ weeks.

Example.. Phyllis
    [​IMG]
    at 4 weeks

[​IMG]

Now

9. what color silkie? Sultans have 5 toes, too.....

Do you have pics of your cochins with the vulture hocks?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by