vulture hocks in Cochins?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sweeterdeeter42, Mar 19, 2011.

1. sweeterdeeter42

sweeterdeeter42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    What do vulture feathers look like and what exactly are vulture hocks when pertaining to disqualification in Cochins?

2. Coopa Cabana

Coopa Cabana My Coop Runneth Over . . .

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Vulture hocks have long stiff feathers growing from the hocks. They are a disqualification in most breeds, including Cochins. The hocks on Cochins should be covered with soft flexible feathers.

Sultans are one of the breeds where you do want vulture hocks. The link below is to the Sultan pages on Feathersite - you can see there what vulture hocks look like.

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Sult/BRKSultan.html

Hope that helps.

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Definition out of the American Standard of Perfection ([​IMG] 2001)
    Vulture Hocks:
    • A well defined formation off stiff, straight and rather long feathers growing from the lower part of the thighs and projecting backward and downward, a disqualification in all Asiatics including their bantam counterparts; a standard requirement in d 'Uccle, Booted, and Sultans.
    DQ in:
    • Brahmas, Cochins, Langshans and Silkies.

Image of Vulture Hocks ----
    http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...age=1&ndsp=22&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0&tx=106&ty=76

Chris

4. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just adding mine, even though this is an oooooold thread. [​IMG]

5. chart

chart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2013
    Chino Valley, AZ.

6. Both cochins? Mine I think are a mystery because they don't have beards/muffs and have the single comb. I may be looking at more booted bantams.....

7. chart

Mar 3, 2013
    Chino Valley, AZ.
    So, is the only bad part about vulture hocks is that they are not show quality? I think she's a doll. Her feet are gigantic. I have no plans to show so I'm ok with it as long as it doesn't pose some sort of health risk. I think she looks really cool!

8. chart

Mar 3, 2013
    Chino Valley, AZ.
    Yes, all 3 are Cochins. When I got them I also got another Bar and 2 Blues (which I was really excited about) that died within a few days. I know it was nothing I did in their care. The remaining Bar looked so much like the blues, I could not tell which one I had left, so I had to wait until she showed some bars. She really does look more bluish than black still. I'm left with 10. 3 are Turkens, 1 orp, and 3 buttercups. Are yours Bantams? Mine aren't. The Bar and one of the Buffs look huge next to all the others, but they really don't weigh much more.

9. Depends on the breed. Sultans need them, as do d'Uccles. 3 of mine have the single comb; 2 appear to have pea combs and don't have the hocks, but don't havebeards yet so they can't be d'Uccles. Meh. Lol.

10. Look what he grew up to be- a mille fleur d'Uccle!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by