1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Vulture!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by SouthernCalBeachChick, Jul 25, 2011.

1. SouthernCalBeachChick

SouthernCalBeachChick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2011
    Southern California
    There's a vulture sitting in a tree outside looking in the house at my baby showgirls & silkies!! It's enormous. We live in 'predator alley' with coyotes, raccoons, skunks, hawks & owls. Now I have to worry about VULTURES too?! I'm going to have to find the most predator proof run/ coop or keep my kids inside for life.

2. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    They will not as a rule bother your birds we have them here in my area year round and though they are curious about the chickens at times they have never landed or shown they are any threat. They do not like live prey preferring a nice rotting bit of meat....

3. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    i guess there is a chance that a vulture would pick off baby chicks, but they are generally quite afraid of anything alive; if it still moves, they don't bother it.

4. SouthernCalBeachChick

SouthernCalBeachChick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2011
    Southern California
    Thanks for the feedback. I guess they look scarier than they are!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  5. Tylt33

Tylt33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Chico, California
    Quote:I've read on these boards of people losing chickens to vultures. I wouldn't have thought it possible myself.

6. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    we have lots of vultures here. I don't think they would try to kill a live chicken. they're scavengers

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:I've read on these boards of people losing chickens to vultures. I wouldn't have thought it possible myself.

Keep in mind that not everything you read on the internet is actually fact.

We have vultures all over, lurking. They have never shown any interest in attacking the chickens. They are indeed carrion eaters, not killers.

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Turkey vultures would have to be near starving to take on live prey; black vultures are as likely to take on live prey as they are to scavenge. whatbird.com gives a good writeup on each species. IMO, it is the best online resource on wild birds in the US.

9. Tylt33

Tylt33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Chico, California

Keep in mind that not everything you read on the internet is actually fact.

We have vultures all over, lurking. They have never shown any interest in attacking the chickens. They are indeed carrion eaters, not killers.

I thought everything on the internet is scientifically based? I guess no one has ever had an animal attacked or killed by a black vulture. What liars! [​IMG]

10. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Maybe the vulture thinks you are harboring baby vultures (showgirls) and is trying to plan a rescue mission.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by