Vultures?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by FaereChicken, Sep 5, 2009.

1. FaereChicken

FaereChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    N. Central Maryland
    I know that turkey vultures are generally not predatory, but we have a gang this afternoon, swooping around the yard. The yard is surrounded by woods, and the chicken tractor is near one edge right now. I don't smell anything majorly dead, and I can't tell what they're focusing on. I put the girls back into the safe coop, instead of the yard. Anybody had a problem with vultures? I noticed they've been kinda stinky lately (not moving the coop enough), but sheesh!

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    They will take live prey...I've seen it here in my yard..it went after my silkie..started to rip her breast feathers out and then saw us and took off.. I at first thought it was an eagle because of its size, but i showed people on here the pics of it circling, and they said it was a turkey vulture... So be careful..

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  3. FaereChicken

FaereChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    N. Central Maryland
    Yikes! Girls are in the coop, and we think we've identified the source of the dead, where they're congregating. I'm still not taking any chances.

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Alot of people will tell you that they wont go after live food...but i dont believe it anymore...needless to say..LOL

5. erinm

erinm Posting For A change

Feb 24, 2007
    Central Massachusetts
    I have never seen a turkey vulture attack. Are these turkey vultures you are talking about or different? Even the gangs pay them no mind. I had on here somwhere that they do not have the talon /leg strength to carry prey? They are carrion eaters. I have never lost one to them anyway. Just the darn red tails and fox. ErinM

6. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    Been around Turkey Vultures & chickens all my life (48 years) and have never seen one attack and kill a chicken. I know ANYTHING is possible and there is probably an exception somewhere, or one on record killing a chicken (but there is probably everything on Earth, on record, killing a chicken)--- but these birds are very beneficial. They have keen senses of smell (better than yours)-- can smell something dead from miles away, so could be looking for something they smell that is dead there.

7. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    i was just googling turkey vultures.. it said they do not kill live animals..but the black vulture that looks like it does

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by