1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Vultures?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Godsgrl, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Are vultures a threat to free ranging chickens? I've noticed a few flying over when the chickens are free ranging. Sometimes the chickens run when they catch a glimpse of the birds overhead, sometimes they don't. Have any of you had problems with vultures? Thanks!

We are always out there supervising when we free range the birds.

2. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I would think not. Vultures are scavengers, which means they will usually go for things that are dead already.

3. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Yeas they are a threat. We had one fly into our chickens run and scared them right into there coop. Next time I will SSS

4. LinckHillPoultry

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Inuyasha, was it flying in to kill them?

5. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    He tried to kill my roo but my roo ran right up into his coop. I took an empty peelet gun and shot to scare him but next time he wont be lucky

6. LinckHillPoultry

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Better be careful trying to kill a vulture. They're endangered and it's illegal.

7. sunnysidecluckers

sunnysidecluckers Chillin' With My Peeps

it is very rare that a vulture goes after live prey. They are scavengers that eat things already dead and rotting. It is a possibility that the vultures you saw had their eyes on something dead already or were waiting for whatever was killed to be abandoned so they can go after it

8. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    There was noting dead in ouor around the coop but in our area we got crazy animals and a ghost that rides a horse down the road every motnh or whatever

9. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:Only a few species are endangered.

10. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I dont think these ones are endgnered. there are 100 of em that sit in the trees, They have white heads. probobly the common vulture right? Any rules permitting shooting one if it attacks livestock?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by