Vultures

elite8

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 16, 2010
40/42 North Carolina
Anybody ever had a problem with vultures? I just looked up and saw some flying above my yard. Then I looked towards the back and saw 13 of them sitting in the trees. The chickens are acting normal and don't appear to be afraid like they are of hawks. They do free range. Do vultures attack live animals?

We have tons of them and I've never had any attack. They do scare me, and I shoo them away if they're hovering too close for too long, though.

They don't bother nothing at my place they just clean up the dead things, the bigger the carcass the more bird you will have handing around till they get all they can from it, you should be able to find out what it is just use your nose.

Last edited:
They don't bother nothing at my place they just clean up the dead things, the bigger the carcass the more bird you will have handing around till they get all they can from it, you should be able to find out what it is just use your nose.
Yes Vultures are large carrion-eating birds, they don't kill.
Sometimes you see them at the side of the road eating road kill, they can eat more than a pound at a time but if they are scared/spooked they can not take off so fast due to added weight (kinda like a 747) so they quickly purge the food, so they can fly.

I had the same concern after moving up here and seeing all of the vultures around. I researched it a bit and Black Vultures have been known to kill livestock. Turkey Vultures, which look similar, don't. Black vultures hunt by sight and can be aggressive, turkey vultures by scent.
It is not that common and apparently they tend to go after cattle, day olds, sheep and goats. Even cows that are calving. I haven't had any problems but it is something to be aware of.

Quote:
They soar over many times daily, roost nearby, have flown in my yard on butchering days but NEVER had a problem with them, NEVER. They are ecologically important and why one should also not poison carcasses for coyotes. My roosters make the hawk noises when they seem them soaring and the hens run for cover anyway.

Back
Top Bottom